44 Verticale Valpolicella Classico DOC Superiore — 2019
- Vineyards: Sant’Ambrogio
- Appellation: Valpolicella Classico
- Composition: 65% Corvina, 20% Corvinone, 15% Rondinella
- Vine Age: 20 years
- Soil: Dark, gravelly, high clay content, fertile, deep and drought-resistant
- Elevation: 495 feet above sea level
- Orientation: North-south orientation
- Density: 5,000 vines/hectare (2,023 vines/acre)
- Training: Guyot with 5,000 vines per hectare, 8 buds per vine. Green cover between the rows.
Overall, it was a vintage characterized by a mild winter. The absence of significant rainfall during budding considerably reduced the impact of the main pathogen: downy mildew.
In May, the scenario changed abruptly, with the advent of considerable wet weather and very low, practically winter-like temperatures. This situation conditioned the life cycle of all plants, not just vines. The real difference came with the summer, especially in our hillside and upper-hillside vineyards, where temperatures remained below 30/32°C. This is also why we expect wines with exceptional finesse and elegance.
- Yields: 50 hl/ha
Crushing and pressing of de-stemmed dry grapes in January Fermentation at a controlled temperature of 28°C. Maceration of the must for 12 days in contact with the skins, with daily pumping-over.
- Malolactic: Full Malolactic Fermentation
- Aging: The wine is aged in tonneaux for 10 months. It is then left to mature for at least 15 months in the bottle before sale.
- Alcohol: 12.2%
- TA: 6.1g/L
- p H: 3.3
- RS: 2 g/L