Valpolicella Classico Superiore DOC – 2013
- Size: 5 hectares (12.5 acres)
- Vine Age: 25 years
- Soil: Dark, alluvial, relatively light, gravelly
- Elevation: 200 meters (656 feet)
- Density: 3,000 vines/hectare (1,214 vines/acre)
- Training: Double pergola, 18 buds per vine, green cover crop between rows
Low temperatures and rain during flowering resulted in a smaller-than-average yield, although the quality of the grapes harvested was very high. Hot summer weather ensured that the grapes were healthy and ripe with good acidity.
- Harvest Date(s): Late September
- Yields: 50 hl/ha (3.7 tons/acre)
Dry, destemmed grapes were crushed and pressed. Fermentation was at a controlled temperature of 28C (82 F). Must obtained in September from freshly-vinified grapes macerated in contact with the skins for 10 days; must obtained in November from dried grapes remained in contact with the skins for 20 days. The two wines were then assembled together. Malolactic fermentation took place. The wine was aged 6-8 months in oak casks and further matured for 3 months in bottle before being released.
- Bottled: August 2014
- Varietal Composition: 50% Corvina, 25% Rondinella, 20% Corvinone, 5% Croatina
- Alcohol: 13%
- TA: 5.5g/L
- p H: 3.5
- RS: 3g/L
Deep ruby-red in color. Distinct and elegant aromas of ripe red fruit and black cherry, with scents of spices and vanilla. Round in the mouth, velvety and harmonic. This wine pairs well with tasty pasta and rice dishes. It is excellent with chargrilled or roasted beef, lamb and medium/mature cheeses. Serve at approximately 18 C (65 F). Open at least one hour before serving.