Abélard, AOC Ventoux — 2015
Flagship Grenache Blend named after the famed Philosopher Pierre Abelard to reflect its forceful, brooding intensity and showcase the opulence and concentration of our old-vine Grenache, with some Syrah to add to the complex structure.
- Viticulture: Organic and biodynamic practices, certified BeeFriendly and HVE 3 sustainable viticulture (highest tier.) No synthetic treatments, to ensure health of vines and soil
- Vine Age: Grenache - over 60 years old; Syrah - 50 years old
- Soil: Clay-limestone, very stony
- Exposure: Syrah: Southwest facing; 540 meters (1,771 feet) Grenache: Northwest facing; 530meters (1,739 feet)
- Training: Double cordon de Royat, 6 shoots per cordon
The 2015 harvest was ripe and we started picking around a earlier than usual, on September 21st. The vineyard’s altitude is approximately 550m/1800ft which causes extreme temperature differences between day and night. As a result, the grapes ripen more slowly and our harvest takes place up to a month later than in the valleys below. Despite potential damage from hail at Flower set, the grapes recovered beautifully and ended the season extremely healthy, with no signs of disease, coulure, or black rot, which has been a big concern for some others in the region.
- Fermentation: In wooden tanks, with skin maceration for 5 weeks; 100% malolactic
- Barrel Aging: 18 months in mix of old and new French oak from various coopers, primarily 228-liter (60-gallon) barrels with medium and medium-plus toast; plus 12 months in concrete tanks
- Filtration: Unfiltered
- Fining: Unfined
- Varietal Composition: 80% Grenache Noir, 20% Syrah
- Alcohol: 14.5%
Appearance: Deep, brilliant garnet
Nose: Rich black plum and red fruits with notes of cocoa
Palate: Full-bodied with ripe red fruits, and notes of black olives
Finish: Long with hints of spice
Aging Potential: 15-20 years
- Serving Suggestions: Gamey meats like venison, or beef and lamb, and roasted vegetables. A good match for spicy dishes, salty cheeses. Decant for 2-3 hours, serve at room temperature or cooler.