Blanc de Blancs, North Coast – 2015
Blanc de Blancs (white from white), made from Chardonnay, is the counterpart to the Blanc de Noirs (white from black), made from Pinot Noir. Blanc de Blancs was the first wine Schramsberg produced in 1965 and was America’s first commercially produced Chardonnay-based brut sparkling wine. Schramsberg Blanc de Blancs gained international recognition in 1972 when then President Nixon served the wine at the historic “Toast to Peace” in Beijing, China.
The Schramsberg style of Blanc de Blancs is dry and crisp. Small lots of malolactic- and barrel-fermented wines are added for complexity. The wine is aged on the yeast lees in the bottle for almost two years prior to disgorgement. With its vibrant, fruitful and crisp nature, this sparkling wine will maintain its freshness, structure and refined finish for many years, even decades, following its initial release.
- Appellation: North Coast
- County Composition: 54% Napa, 46% Sonoma
- Harvest Date(s): July 31 – September 21, 2015
- Barrel Fermentation: 18%
- Varietal Composition: 100% Chardonnay
- Production (in cases): 33,290
- Production Case Pack: 12/750ml
- Available Formats: 375ml, 750ml, 1.5L, 3L, 9L
- Alcohol: 12.4%
- TA: 9.1 g/l
- p H: 3.14
- RS: 10.5 g/l
“This wine has bright aromas of apple, tropical fruit and baked bread, which intermingle with hints of lemon blossom, vanilla wafer and baked pear. Candied citrus, green apple, apricot and pineapple vibrate on the palate, which ends clean and refreshing with a quenching drive.” – Winemakers Sean Thompson and Hugh Davies
- Serving Suggestions: While this wine can be enjoyed by itself as an apéritif, it is perfect with fresh oysters and other shellfish, crab cakes, ceviche and grilled sea bass. It is also delicious with lemon chicken and Thai curries. Serve with aged Gouda or other hard cheeses, and as a counterpoint to soft triple creams.
Schramsberg Vineyards Blanc de Blancs, North Coast – 2015 – Wine Enthusiast – 90 Points
Tiny bubbles keep rising long after this dry and crisp wine made from 100% Chardonnay is poured. It has a lemony flavor with almost salty, nutty accents and vivid acidity to keep it clean and balanced.
Schramsberg Brut Blanc de Blancs North Coast – 2015 – Wine Spectator – 90 Points
Polished and precise, with floral yeast roll and fresh ginger aromas accented by sleek lemon and lime flavors. Drink now.