Bordini Barbaresco DOCG – 2012
Bordini is the name of the cru in Neive village where the vineyard is located. This wine is the offspring of an invaluable collaboration with a friend of the Cogno family, a producer in Neive. It is thanks to this collaborative effort that the Cogno family has been able to embark on a new adventure as a Barolo producer making a historic Barbaresco wine.
100% estate vineyards
- Location: Halfway up the hill
- Cultivation: 100% organic (not yet certified)
- Composition: 1 hectare (2.47 acres)
- Vine Age: 30 years
- Soil: Medium-textured calcareous
- Elevation: 300 meters (984 feet)
- Exposure: Southern
- Density: 4,000 vines/hectare (1,619 vines/acre)
- Training: Vertical trellising, Guyot pruning
Winter was warm until the end of January, when temperatures fell, and for a month there was very cold weather (minus 15 C/5 F) with a great deal of snow, delaying the start of vegetative activity. Spring was rather cold and wet, and only by the end of June were temperatures rising. July and August were warm, but without excessive heat, while autumn was beautifully mild and dry.
- Harvest Date(s): October 7
- Fermentation: 100% in stainless steel with 35-40 days skin contact, temperature-controlled, automatic pump-over, post-fermentation maceration for 15-20 days with submerged cap, 100% with indigenous yeast
- Maceration: 100% in steel fermentors
- Barrel Aging: 15 months in large, used Slavonian oak
- Filtration: None
- Bottle Aging: 6 months
- Varietal Composition: 100% Nebbiolo
- Production (in cases): 600 cases
- Production Case Pack: 12/750ml
- Cases Imported: 100
- Imported Case Pack: 12/750ml
- Alcohol: 14%
Ruby-red in color with light garnet highlights. Great finesse on the nose, harmonious and complex. Sensations of ripe red fruit — typical of Nebbiolo — with spicy undertones. Enveloping tannins, great elegance and persistence on the palate.
Aging Potential: 15-20 years
Bordini Barbaresco DOCG – 2012 – 91 points – Wine Enthusiast
"Forest floor, mature berry, wild herb, clove, smoke and pressed flower aromas come together on this bright red. The taut palate delivers ripe red cherry, crushed raspberry, star anise and white pepper set against firm, polished tannins."
Bordini Barbaresco DOCG – 2012 – 91 points, Year’s Best Barolo & Barbaresco – Wine & Spirits
“Filigreed tannins weave through rosy red berry flavors in Fisore’s 2012 Barbaresco Bordini, framing the fruit while notes of soy, mushroom and black spice linger on the finish.”
Bordini Barbaresco DOCG – 2012 – 91 points – The Wine Advocate
"The 2012 Barbaresco Bordini shows thin lines and an upfront personality.This is a bright and feminine expression with a pretty bouquet of blue flowers, wild berries, dried blueberries and blanched almond."