Bricco dei Merli Barbera d’Alba DOC – 2017
Merli is the name of the hill where this vineyard is located; Bricco (meaning “hill”) indicates that this vineyard is located at the very top of the hill.
- Vineyards: 100% Barbera
- Grape Source: 100% estate vineyards located on the top of the hill; Novello village; Ravera area
- Cultivation: Vertical trellising, Guyot pruning, 100% organic (not yet certified)
- Size: 3.5 hectares (8.65 acres)
- Vine Age: Average vine age 22 years old
- Soil: Limestone/clay
- Elevation: 300 meters (984 feet) above sea level
- Exposure: South-southeast
- Density: 4,500 vines/hectare (1,821 vines/acre)
After several heavy snow falls in the winter time, the beginning of the spring was quite hot with some rain that helped the growing cycle to start earlier than usual. Towards the end of April, the sharp drop in temperatures recorded—especially overnight—caused some frost damage, but only at the bottom of the valleys and on cooler slopes, in fact any of our vineyards were effected. Starting from May, the weather was hot and dry, enhancing a perfectly even fruit set followed by a quick veraison. This dry conditions, even if considered extraordinary, did not effected negatively the growing cycle due the reserve of water from the winter snow. By the end of August and September, the cool nights really helped to develop perfect phenolic ripening. Harvest was about 7 to 10 days earlier than usual.
- Fermentation: 100% in stainless-steel fermentors with 9-12 days skin contact, temperature controlled, with automatic pump overs; 100% with indigenous yeast
- Malolactic: 100% in steel fermenters
- Aging: 1 year barrel-aging in used, 25-hl (660-gallon) Slavonian oak; bottle-aged for 6 months. Bottled without filtration
- Varietal Composition: 100% Barbera
- Production (in cases): 1,000 (12/750ml)
- Cases Imported: 250
- Alcohol: 15.0%
Bright ruby red in color with clear crimson highlights. Deep, full aromas, elegant, well-balanced and enduring, reminiscent of rose, undergrowth and oriental spices. Very powerful bouquet, sweetened by an overall softness. Fine structure accompanied by lively acidic freshness. Flavors conjure up Morello cherry and plum jam with a long finish of withered grape.
- Serving Suggestions: Serve with tasty dishes such as pasta, red meat, and medium-mature soft, fatty cheeses. Serving temperature: 18° C.
Elvio Cogno Bricco dei Merli Barbera d’Alba DOC — 2017 – James Suckling – 91 Points
Another very successful barbera with subtle citrus character, dried violets and lavender. Medium-bodied yet quite spicy, this paints bright, dark fruit in watercolors. Drink now.
Elvio Cogno Bricco dei Merli Barbera d’Alba DOC – 2017 – Wine Spectator – 92 Points
Vanilla, blackberry, plum and earth flavors ply the dense, burly profile of this powerful red. Fresh and balanced, giving this the possibility to develop well over time. Comes together nicely on the finish, where a floral element emerges. Drink now through 2028. 800 cases made, 119 cases imported.
Elvio Cogno Bricco dei Merli Barbera d’Alba DOC – 2017 – The Wine Advocate – 90 Points
Plump, ripe fruit and cherry-covered chocolate overflow from this generous 2017 Barbera d'Alba Bricco dei Merli. This is a beautiful and fruit-forward expression with delicious fruit intensity and lots of succulent ripeness. Enjoy it with a decadently cheesy penne alla Norma.”
Elvio Cogno Bricco dei Merli Barbera d’Alba DOC – 2017 – Vinous – 91 Points
Cogno's 2017 Barbera d'Alba Bricco dei Merli is dark, sumptuous and wonderfully inviting. Black cherry, mocha, licorice, spice and sweet pipe tobacco add shades of nuance to a Barbera that captures the richness of the year while also retaining a mid-weight sense of structure. Impeccable in its balance, the 2017 has so much to offer.