Bricco dei Merli Barbera d’Alba DOC – 2018
Merli is the name of the hill where this vineyard is located; Bricco (meaning “hill”) indicates that this vineyard is located at the very top of the hill.
- Vineyards: 100% Barbera
- Grape Source: 100% estate vineyards located on the top of the hill; Novello village; Ravera area
- Cultivation: Vertical trellising, Guyot pruning, 100% organic (not yet certified)
- Size: 1.8 hectares (4.45 acres)
- Vine Age: Average vine age 22 years old
- Soil: Limestone/clay
- Elevation: 300 meters (984 feet) above sea level
- Exposure: South-southeast
- Density: 4,500 vines/hectare (1,821 vines/acre)
The 2018 harvest was quite late and arduous; yet, the crop shows immense promise after a long and engaging growing season. The beginning of spring was quite difficult due to the heavy rain, and the summer was considerably warm and quite dry. The conditions allowed the vines to catch up upon a quite slow start. From the last days of June through the month of July, the sunny days encouraged a fast vegetative growth that required several trimmings and manual leaves thinning, especially in the shaded internal parts that were less active in photosynthesis. These efforts produced even cluster growth, and it carried to an early veraison in the month of August. Toward the beginning of September, the temperature dropped significantly during the night but warm and dry during the day, a perfect condition to promote the phenolic ripening (skin and seeds on the red grapes).
- Harvest Date(s): End of September – start of October
- Fermentation: 100% in stainless-steel fermentors with 9-12 days skin contact, temperature controlled, with automatic pump overs; 100% with indigenous yeast
- Malolactic: 100% in steel fermenters
- Aging: 1 year barrel-aging in used, 25-hl (660-gallon) Slavonian oak; bottle-aged for 6 months. Bottled without filtration
- Varietal Composition: 100% Barbera
- Alcohol: 15.35%
- TA: 6.67 g/L
- RS: 0.5 g/L
The 2018 Barbera d’Alba Bricco dei Merli explodes from the glass with a rush of dark red fruit, flowers and spices. With vibrant acidity, it shows fabulous mid-palate juiciness in a supple, inviting style that is immensely satisfying. Sweet floral notes reappear on the finish, it shows a great balance now already.
- Serving Suggestions: Serving temperature: 18° C
Elvio Cogno, Bricco dei Merli Barbera d’Alba DOC — 2018 – Vinous – 91 Points
The 2018 Barbera d'Alba Bricco dei Merli is plush, dark and voluptuous yet mid-weight, which is typical of the variety. Dark cherry, plums, chocolate and mocha notes waft up from the glass in this soft easy-going but very nicely done Barbera.
Elvio Cogno Bricco dei Merli Barbera d’Alba DOC – 2018 – The Wine Advocate – 92 Points
The 2018 Barbera d'Alba Bricco dei Merli (with 10,000 bottles made) delivers that signature balance and harmony that we see in the other wines from Elvio Cogno. Barbera can sometimes take on overblown aromas, but this wine remains steady, sweet and mildly concentrated throughout. It delivers dark fruit intensity without ever feeling heavy or too rich. From a cooler vintage, this expression of Barbera shows vibrant freshness and energy.
Elvio Cogno Bricco dei Merli Barbera d’Alba DOC – 2018 – James Suckling – 90 Points
Fresh and fruity with sliced berry and raspberry character. Medium body and a clean, crisp finish. Easygoing. Drink now.