Bricco dei Merli Barbera d’Alba DOC — 2019
Merli is the name of the hill where this vineyard is located; Bricco (meaning “hill”) indicates that this vineyard is located at the very top of the hill.
- Vineyards: 100% Barbera
- Grape Source: 100% estate vineyards located on the top of the hill; Novello village; Ravera area
- Cultivation: Vertical trellising, Guyot pruning, 100% organic (not yet certified)
- Size: 1.8 hectares (4.45 acres)
- Vine Age: Average vine age 22 years old
- Soil: Limestone/clay
- Elevation: 300 meters (984 feet) above sea level
- Exposure: South-southeast
- Density: 4,500 vines/hectare (1,821 vines/acre)
The 2019 harvest is characterized by a slight decrease in terms of yields, around -15%, which benefitted quality and balance. We find the same balance if we look at the weather conditions through the year, despite a prolonged drought in the first three months followed by rain and low temperatures from April until the end of May. The plant growth underwent initially a slow kickoff, with a delay of two weeks compared to the previous year, but similar to more typical and traditional vintages. The month of June, with sunny climate and soil characterized by great water availability, created conditions for a flourishing plant growing, which required careful management of our vineyards by thinning during the summer.
After a particularly hot and dry period between end of June and beginning of July , the summer season continued with milder temperatures alternating with well-distributed rainfall. Compared to the anticipated vintage, the abundant plant growth made it possible for the grape ripening to slow down, creating an optimal amount of time for phenolic ripeness, particularly on the Nebbiolo, which was finally harvested in the second part of October. Overall, the grapes present good parameters and high quality, showing a perfect phenolic ripeness, nice sugar content and substantial acidity. The year 2019 may be considered a traditional one, with a balanced growing season and a very late ripening comparing to previous vintages, giving the wines the right qualities for a potentially long aging.
- Harvest Date(s): End of September – start of October
- Fermentation: 100% in stainless-steel fermentors with 9-12 days skin contact, temperature controlled, with automatic pump overs.
- Malolactic: 100% in steel fermenters
- Aging: 1 year barrel-aging in used, 25-hl (660-gallon) Slavonian oak; bottle-aged for 6 months. Bottled without filtration
- Varietal Composition: 100% Barbera
- Alcohol: 14.5%
- TA: 6.66 g/L
- RS: 0.41 g/L
The exuberance of the 2019 Barbera d’Alba Bricco dei Merli is irresistible both on the nose and the palate. The delightful nose offers wild berries, plum, violet and blood orange aromas immediately and, then, it gives off intriguing spicy scents. Its extreme drinkability is very surprising: on the palate, after a mineral opening, its freshness and juiciness are able to give a rewarding taste
- Serving Suggestions: Serving temperature: 18° C