Bricco dei Merli Barbera d’Alba DOC — 2021
Merli is the name of the hill where this vineyard is located; Bricco (meaning “hill”) indicates that this vineyard is located at the very top of the hill.
- Vineyards: 100% Barbera
- Cultivation: Vertical trellising, Guyot pruning, 100% organic (not yet certified)
- Size: 1.8 hectares (4.45 acres)
- Vine Age: Average vine age 22 years old
- Soil: Limestone/clay
- Elevation: 300 meters (984 feet) above sea level
- Exposure: South-southeast
- Density: 4,500 vines/hectare (1,821 vines/acre)
The winter of 2021 was mild, which caused the vines to bud early. The summer was dry but not too hot despite the abundance of rain and moderate snow. Although there were a few windy days in May and June, the vines weren’t affected by it. The vines also benefited from the July rain and the water reserves from the moderate winter snowfall. There was no summer hail or spring frost, and the temperature fluctuations between day and night in September were ideal. As a result, the 2021 wines are unique and possess deep, bright colors and great structure and power.
- Fermentation: 100% in stainless-steel fermentors with 9-12 days skin contact, temperature controlled, with automatic pump overs.
- Malolactic: 100% in steel fermenters
- Aging: 1 year barrel-aging in used, 25-hl (660-gallon) Slavonian oak; bottle-aged for 6 months. Bottled without filtration.
- Varietal Composition: 100% Barbera
- Alcohol: 14.5%
- TA: 6.92 g/L
- RS: 0.37 g/L
The Barbera d’Alba Bricco dei Merli 2021 is aged in large, not toasted Slavonian oak barrels. This allows the wine to maintain and enhance its authentic and characteristic taste. The wine has strong fruity notes of ripe cherry and plum, followed by a dominant aroma of violet with hints of spice. It has a fresh and mineral taste when first tasted, and is well-balanced with a subtle tannic texture that enhances the overall flavor.
Bricco dei Merli Barbera d’Alba DOC — 2021 – James Suckling – 91 Points
“Very attractive, perfumed nose with cherries and raspberries, hints of spiced cedar, walnut and moist earth. Medium- to full-bodied with grainy tannins and chalky texture. There’s freshness to the red fruit with racy, citrusy notes at the end.”
Bricco dei Merli Barbera d’Alba DOC — 2021 – Wine Advocate – 93 Points
“A beautifully fruity, almost juicy personality that paints an authentic portrait of this grape. The Congo winemaking team has worked out its approach to elegant wines.”
Bricco dei Merli Barbera d’Alba DOC — 2021 – Jeb Dunnuck – 91 Points
“This is fresh with notes of blackberry, violet, and black pepper followed by a pure, fresh, full-bodied red. With fine tannins, a silky texture, and a vertical lift on the finish, this pleasant wine casts a long net for appreciation and can pair across the table.”