Bricco Pernice Barolo DOCG – 2010
Bricco Pernice is named for the rock on which courting partridges build their nest. “Pernice” translates as “rock ptarmigan” or “partridge,” “Bricco” is a hill. This is the very latest wine from Elvio Cogno. Until a few years ago this was part of the Ravera Barolo cru; in recent years it has been expanded to incorporate the neighboring hills. The fruit of years of hard work, this wine is a dream come true, made from the finest vineyard in Novello in the most historic part of the Ravera cru. The label is designed by Elena, Elvio’s granddaughter.
100% estate vineyards
- Cultivation: 100% organic (not yet certified)
- Size: 2 hectares (4.94 acres)
- Vine Age: One section is 20 years old, the other section is 65 years old
- Soil: Limestone, calcareous, with less sand than the other hill of the Ravera cru
- Elevation: 320 meters (1,050 feet)
- Exposure: South, southeast
- Density: 5,000 vines/hectare (2,023 vines/acre)
- Training: Vertical trellising, Guyot pruning
A winter with a great deal of snow was followed by heavy rains in February and March. Hot and dry weather lasted from April until June. Summer was hot, but not excessively so, particularly at the end of August, when many thunderstorms kept the temperatures below average. After rain in early September, the harvest took place in warm, dry weather.
- Harvest Date(s): October 11-12
- Fermentation: 100% in stainless steel, temperature-controlled, with automatic pump overs, post-fermentation maceration for 30 days with submerged cap; skin contact for 40-45 days with fermentation and afterwards, with post-fermentation maceration submerged cap;100% with indigenous yeast
- Malolactic: 100% in steel fermentors
- Aging: 30 months in large (25-30 hl/660-793 gallons), used Slavonian oak
- Filtration: None
- Bottle Aging: 18 months
- Varietal Composition: 100% Nebbiolo (Lampia sub-variety of Nebbiolo)
- Production (in cases): 580 cases (6/750ml); 150 cases (1/1.5L)
- Cases Imported: 150 (6/750ml); 24 (1/1.5L)
- Alcohol: 14.5%
Ruby- to garnet-red in color. Intense notes of violet accompanied by a hint of damp soil, ripe red fruit and subtle spiciness. Harmonious and well-structured on the palate, with incisive yet fine, soft tannins. Already elegant and alluring when young, its silkiness and, above all, its complexity allow it to age as only great wines know how to do.
Serving Suggestions: 19 C (66 F)
Aging Potential: 30-plus years
Bricco Pernice Barolo DOCG – 2010 – 96 points, Cellar Selection – Wine Enthusiast
"Radiant and structured … opens to reveal engaging aromas of woodland berry, violet, star anise, dark cooking spice and a balsamic note. The vibrant, full-bodied palate boasts great energy … acidity and firm, polished tannins provide balance."
Bricco Pernice Barolo DOCG – 2010 – 93 points – Wine Spectator
“Lean and athletic, with balsamic flavors of juniper, rosemary and eucalyptus, accented by cherry and leather. The tannins toughen up on the finish.”
Bricco Pernice Barolo DOCG – 2010 – 96 points, Year’s Best Barolo & Barbaresco – Wine & Spirits
“Brisk tannins lift the perfectly ripe red cherry and pomegranate fruit, adding notes of black spice, mint and an earthy layer of fried porcini. Thrilling now for its freshness, precision and length, the wine will gain even more complexity…”
Bricco Pernice Barolo DOCG – 2010 – 94 points – jamessuckling.com
"Gorgeous and luscious red with spice, cedar, and fresh bacon aromas and flavors. Full body, silky tannins and a flavorful finish. Gorgeous wine now. Drink and enjoy."