Bricco Pernice Barolo DOCG – 2011
Bricco Pernice is named for the rock on which courting partridges build their nest. “Pernice” translates as “rock ptarmigan” or “partridge,” “Bricco” is a hill. This is the very latest wine from Elvio Cogno. Until a few years ago this was part of the Ravera Barolo cru; in recent years it has been expanded to incorporate the neighboring hills. The fruit of years of hard work, this wine is a dream come true, made from the finest vineyard in Novello in the most historic part of the Ravera cru. The label is designed by Elena, Elvio’s granddaughter.
- Vineyards: 100% estate vineyard at the top of the Ravera hill
- Cultivation: 100% organic (not yet certified)
- Size: 2 hectares (4.94 acres)
- Vine Age: One section is 20 years old, the other section is 65 years old
- Soil: Limestone, calcareous, with less sand than the other hill of the Ravera cru
- Elevation: 320 meters (1,050 feet)
- Exposure: South, southeast
- Density: 5,000 vines/hectare (2,023 vines/acre)
- Training: Vertical trellising, Guyot pruning
The 2011 vintage started with a cold winter and continued with intense rain in March. The beginning of April was very warm, causing the vines to develop prematurely, an advancement that continued into harvest. June and July were generally cooler than usual, but brought a healthy vegetative development without problems for plant protection. The second part of July and the month of August were extremely warm, helping the grapes develop a rich concentration of polyphenols; and the heat was mitigated by rain during the last week of September.
- Harvest Date(s): October
- Fermentation: 100% in stainless steel, temperature-controlled, with automatic pump overs, postfermentation maceration for 30 days with submerged cap; skin contact for 40-45 days with fermentation and afterwards, with post-fermentation maceration submerged cap; 100% with indigenous yeast
- Malolactic: 100% in steel fermentors
- Barrel Aging: 30 months barrel-aging in large (25-30 hl/660-793 gallons), used Slavonian oak
- Filtration: None
- Bottle Aging: 18 months
- Varietal Composition: 100% Nebbiolo da Barolo, Lampia sub-variety of Nebbiolo
- Production (in cases): 580 (6/750ml)
- Cases Imported: 150
- Alcohol: 15%
Extraordinary quality and elegance, this Barolo has aromatic, rich, and intense nose with ripe red fruits, spices, violets, and wild rose. The palate is well-balanced between elegance and power with incisive yet fine, soft tannins. The terroir is apparent in the wine, giving mineral notes paired with flavors of jam and cacao. It has a strong persistence and will age well for years to come.
Bricco Pernice Barolo DOCG – 2011 – 93 points – Wine Spectator
"A firm underpinning of grainy tannins buoys cherry, tar and tobacco flavors. Though a tad firm now, this red finds an equilibrium on the long finish, which echoes fruit, tar and underbrush accents."
Bricco Pernice Barolo DOCG – 2011
This Barolo has an aromatic, rich, and intense nose with ripe red fruits, spices, violets, and wild rose. The palate is well-balanced between elegance and power, with incisive yet fine, soft tannins.
Bricco Pernice Barolo DOCG – 2011 – 93 points – jamessuckling.com
“Firm and structured with beautiful depth of fruit plus a spicy, nutty, and lightly bitter orange finish. Muscular wine. Structured and intense…”
Bricco Pernice Barolo DOCG – 2011 – 95 points – Wine & Spirits
“… Its flavors of plum and black cherry show a lush ripeness that’s balanced by cool acidity and delicate floral scents. Powerful tannins grip the fruit flavors, but the acidity and lush flavors buzz with energy and black spice notes …”