Bricco Pernice Barolo DOCG — 2017
Bricco Pernice is named for the rock on which courting partridges build their nest. “Pernice” translates as “rock ptarmigan” or “partridge,” “Bricco” is a hill. This is the very latest wine from Elvio Cogno. Until a few years ago this was part of the Ravera Barolo cru; in recent years it has been expanded to incorporate the neighboring hills. The fruit of years of hard work, this wine is a dream come true, made from the finest vineyard in Novello in the most historic part of the Ravera cru. The label is designed by Elena, Elvio’s granddaughter.
- Vineyards: 100% Nebbiolo da Barolo, Lampia sub-variety of Nebbiolo
- Grape Source: 100% estate vineyard at the top of the Ravera hill
- Cultivation: Vertical trellising, Guyot pruning, 100% organic (not yet certified)
- Size: 2 hectares (4.94 acres)
- Vine Age: One section is 31 years old, the other section is 51 years old
- Soil: Limestone, calcareous, with less sand than the other hill of the Ravera cru
- Elevation: 320 meters (1,050 feet) above sea level
- Exposure: South and southwest
- Density: 5,000 vines/hectare (2,023 vines/acre)
- Fermentation: 100% in stainless steel, temperature-controlled, with automatic pump overs, post-fermentation maceration for 30 days with submerged cap; 100% indigenous yeast
- Aging: 24 months in large Slavonian oak barrels (25-30 hl), followed by 18 months in bottle.
- Alcohol: 14.50%
- TA: 5.59 g/L
- RS: 0.84 g/l
The 2017 Barolo Ravera Bricco Pernice, characterized by sweet notes of ripe and juicy fruit perfectly blended with intriguing hints of licorice, violet, black pepper, and undergrowth, is identified as the most classic of the Barolo wines signed by Elvio Cogno. It is a complex and multi-faceted wine, which finds its harmony thanks to the excellent balance between dense tannic texture, good freshness, and savoriness, for a result of great dynamism and depth.