Bricco Pernice Barolo DOCG — 2018
Bricco Pernice is named for the rock on which courting partridges build their nest. “Pernice” translates as “rock ptarmigan” or “partridge,” “Bricco” is a hill. This is the very latest wine from Elvio Cogno. Until a few years ago this was part of the Ravera Barolo cru; in recent years it has been expanded to incorporate the neighboring hills. The fruit of years of hard work, this wine is a dream come true, made from the finest vineyard in Novello in the most historic part of the Ravera cru. The label is designed by Elena, Elvio’s granddaughter.
- Vineyards: 100% Nebbiolo da Barolo, Lampia sub-variety of Nebbiolo
- Grape Source: 100% estate vineyard at the top of the Ravera hill
- Cultivation: Vertical trellising, Guyot pruning, 100% organic (not yet certified)
- Size: 2 hectares (4.94 acres)
- Vine Age: One section is 31 years old, the other section is 51 years old
- Soil: Limestone, calcareous, with less sand than the other hill of the Ravera cru
- Elevation: 320 meters (1,050 feet) above sea level
- Exposure: South and southwest
- Density: 5,000 vines/hectare (2,023 vines/acre)
Spring 2018 was rainy, but summer had a gradual temperature rise. Sunny days in June and July caused fast vegetative growth, which we controlled with trimming and thinning. The days before harvest had an excellent temperature range, allowing for the production of elegant wines with charming aromas, velvet tannins, and a balanced taste.
- Fermentation: 100% in stainless steel, temperature-controlled, with automatic pump overs, post-fermentation maceration for 30 days with submerged cap; 100% indigenous yeast
- Aging: 24 months in large Slavonian oak barrels (25-30 hl), followed by 18 months in bottle.
- Alcohol: 14.5%
- TA: 5.80 g/L
- RS: 0.76 g/l
The 2018 Barolo Ravera Bricco Pernice proves to be the most powerful expression among all those produced with the grapes from Ravera MGA. Dressed in a light garnet red color that immediately refers to the grape variety of origin, it has a variegated and intriguing nose, with hints of dark fruit in the foreground, followed by fascinating aromas of underbrush and spices. The palate immediately reveals its strength, softened by freshness, savouriness, and a note of blood orange that refreshes and gives energy to the sip, for a harmonious result and great impact.
Bricco Pernice Barolo DOCG — 2018 – Wine Spectator – 95 Points
“Perfumed, exuding aromas of rose, cherry, raspberry, anise and menthol, with the berry fruit persisting on the palate, along with mineral and wild herb flavors. Though expressive and balanced, this shows tannic grip and should evolve nicely.”
Bricco Pernice Barolo DOCG — 2018 – Wine Enthusiast – Cellar Selection – 96 Points
“This wine shows just how elegant Nebbiolo is with aromas of wild raspberries and cherry preserves giving way to wild herbs, rosebuds and earth. The palate is lifted and dances with vigor and energy showing its core of fruit but with all elements in harmony and balance.”
Bricco Pernice Barolo DOCG — 2018 – James Suckling – 93 Points
“Very attractive, perfumed nose with cherries and raspberries, hints of spiced cedar, walnut and moist earth. Medium- to full-bodied with grainy tannins and chalky texture. There’s freshness to the red fruit with racy, citrusy notes at the end.”
Bricco Pernice Barolo DOCG — 2018 – Wine Advocate – 95 Points
“A wine like this gives you an evermore selective expression of fruit from one of the best parcels from within the greater Ravera cru. Those Barolo lovers are also quite familiar with the Cogno house style that tends to favor the power, muscle and staying power that Ravera is known for.”