Cabernet Sauvignon, Maremma Toscana DOC – 2017
- The Label: The label represents the receding waters of an ancient coastal lake named Prelius that was drained in the 1930s for agricultural purposes. The vineyards of Prelius are located on a hilltop alongside what were once the shores of this lake. Thus, the wines of Prelius now replace the waters of Prelius.
- Appellation: Toscana IGT
- Cultivation: 100% organic
- Composition: 100% Cabernet Sauvignon
- Size: 12 hectares (29.7 acres) total; 6.35 hectares (15.7 acres) planted to Cabernet Sauvignon
- Vine Age: Planted 2001-2004
- Soil: 80% sand, 15% clay, 5% silt and gravel
- Elevation: 37-52 meters (120-170 feet)
- Exposure: South-southeast
- Density: 8,649-9,884 vines/hectare (3,500-4,000 vines/acre)
- Training: Guyot
A record year for heat and drought in which both spring and summer months were characterized by higher than average temperatures and very little rainfall. Consequently, vegetation growth was scarce, and the fruit harvest reduced.
Harvest production was particularly limited, resulting in a vintage that was unique in its kind.
- Harvest Date(s): August 18–24
- Barrel Aging: 6 months in new 30-hectoliter (800-gallon) casks of new French oak
- Alcohol: 14.5%
- TA: 5g/L
- RS: 0.7g/L
The nose is expressive, displaying aromas of blackberry, blueberry and a hint of cinnamon, rounding out with seductive oak notes. Color is bright, with an intense gem-like quality paired with dark violet highlights. This is a full-bodied wine that displays solid structure and complexity, exhibiting dark red fruit and a lingering finish.
Cabernet Sauvignon, Maremma Toscana DOC – 2017 – 91 Points – James Suckling
"The blackcurrant fruit is so vivid it leaps out of the glass at you, but there’s also a hint of tobacco. Ripe and succulent with a creamy mid-palate and some nice, supple tannins at the long, moderately dry finish. From organically grown grapes."