Cabernet Sauvignon, Maremma Toscana DOC – 2018
- The Label: The label represents the receding waters of an ancient coastal lake named Prelius that was drained in the 1930s for agricultural purposes. The vineyards of Prelius are located on a hilltop alongside what were once the shores of this lake. Thus, the wines of Prelius now replace the waters of Prelius.
- Appellation: Toscana IGT
- Cultivation: 100% organic
- Composition: 100% Cabernet Sauvignon
- Size: 12 hectares (29.7 acres) total; 6.35 hectares (15.7 acres) planted to Cabernet Sauvignon
- Vine Age: Planted 2001-2004
- Soil: 80% sand, 15% clay, 5% silt and gravel
- Elevation: 37-52 meters (120-170 feet)
- Exposure: South-southeast
- Density: 8,649-9,884 vines/hectare (3,500-4,000 vines/acre)
- Training: Guyot
Warm April springtime weather brought upon early bud break. Cooler weather in May presented light rain and lower that average temperatures. Beginning in June, warm and dry conditions returned accelerating verasion and maturating of the grapes. Veraison was anticipated while the harvest took place like other years.
- Harvest Date(s): August 31- September 4
- Barrel Aging: 6 months in new 30-hectoliter (800-gallon) casks of new French oak
- Alcohol: 14%
- TA: 5.11g/L
- RS: 0.5g/L
The nose is expressive, displaying aromas of blackberry, blueberry and a hint of cinnamon, rounding out with seductive oak notes. Color is bright, with an intense gem-like quality paired with dark violet highlights. This is a full-bodied wine that displays solid structure and complexity, exhibiting dark red fruit and a lingering finish.
Prelius Cabernet Sauvignon, Maremma Toscana DOC — 2018 – Wine Enthusiast – 91 Points
Made with organically grown grapes, this Cabernet Sauvignon opens with inviting aromas of cassis, underbrush and mint. The savory, polished palate features black currant, licorice and tobacco alongside fine-grained tannins. Drink through 2026.
Prelius Cabernet Sauvignon, Maremma Toscana DOC — 2018 – James Suckling – 92 Points
Blueberry and currant character with a hint of vanilla. Medium to full body. Chewy tannins and a flavorful finish. Needs time to soften. Better after 2020.