Cabernet Sauvignon, Toscana IGT – 2019
- The Label: Represents the fluid, the essence of the ancient costal lake of Prelius, what now is known as the Maremma Toscana around Grosseto. The lake has slowly disappeared due to the drainage during the 1930’s and now the only fluid that’s left is the excellent wine making tradition of the region. The vineyards of Prelius are located on a hilltop along the shores of the ancient lake, 5 miles from the sea facing the majestic Tuscan Archipelago.
- Vineyards: Prile
- Appellation: Toscana IGT
- Cultivation: 100% organic
- Composition: 100% Cabernet Sauvignon
- Size: 12 hectares (29.7 acres) total; 6.35 hectares (15.7 acres) planted to Cabernet Sauvignon
- Vine Age: Planted 2001-2004
- Soil: 80% sand, 15% clay, 5% silt and gravel
- Elevation: 37-52 meters (120-170 feet)
- Exposure: South-southeast
- Density: 8,649-9,884 vines/hectare (3,500-4,000 vines/acre)
- Training: Guyot
Spring was fairly cool and rainy, particularly so in May. The summer was hot with occasional very high temperatures. As we had no irrigation water, luckily it rained occasionally during the second half of July. Phenologic changes were delayed and on all the vines the grapes did not ripen until well into September.
- Harvest Date(s): September 6 – September 19
- Barrel Aging: 6 months in new 30-hectoliter (800-gallon) casks of new French oak
- Varietal Composition: 100% Cabernet Sauvignon
- Alcohol: 14%
- TA: 5.10 g/L
- RS: 1.1 g/L
The nose is expressive, displaying aromas of blackberry, blueberry, and a hint of cinnamon rounding out with seductive oak notes. Color is bright with an intense gem-like quality paired with dark violet highlights. It is a full-bodied wine that displays solid structure and complexity; exhibiting dark red fruit and a lingering finish.
Prelius Cabernet Sauvignon, Toscana IGT — 2019 – Vinous – 90 Points
A delicious entry-level wine to drink now and over the next handful of years. Blackberry, espresso, grilled herbs and spice are all nicely delineated in this tasty, vibrant Maremma red
Prelius Cabernet Sauvignon, Toscana IGT — 2019 – Wine & Spirits – Best Buy
Hints of fresh tobacco and soft green herbs accent this wine’s flavors of black raspberry and dark chocolate. Firmly tannic, with appealing hints of graphite.
Prelius Cabernet Sauvignon, Toscana IGT – 2019 – Vinous – 89 Points
The 2019 Cabernet Sauvignon is a fresh, supple wine to drink now and over the next few years, while the red berry fruit and floral notes remain vibrant. Touches of mocha and spice add complexity on the finish. This is an early drinking style.
Prelius Cabernet Sauvignon, Toscana IGT – 2019 – James Suckling – 93 Points
A very pretty red with currants, blackberries and hints of lavender. Medium to full body, polished tannins and a creamy finish. From organically grown grapes. Drink after 2022.