Chablis Premier Cru Les Vaudevey – 2009
Domaine Laroche is one of only three proprietors in Les Vaudevey, owning 9.96 hectares (24.6 acres) of the 35.66 hectare (88.12 acre) Vaudevey premier cru vineyard. Planted on the steep slope of this Kimmeridgian foothill with an eastern to southeastern to southern exposure, the wines enjoy morning to early afternoon sun. They are, therefore, protected from excessive heat and mature slowly, developing a delicate flavor profile.
- Viticulture: “Lutte raisonnée,” or “reasoned protection,” (using chemical intervention only when required): The vineyard is plowed to aerate the soil and encourage development of organic life in the soil. Vines are pruned and trained by hand, with a strict pruning and debudding regimen. Leaf plucking to aerate the canopy and avoid the development of botrytis. Trellising to aerate and give the grapes favorable exposure.
- Size: 9.96 hectares (24.6 acres)
- Vine Age: Average of 25 years
- Soil: The Vaudevey vineyard is planted on Kimmeridgian limestone with a very rocky topsoil providing good drainage and aeration. The soil contains a mixture of limestone and clay with a multitude of tiny fossilized oyster shells. This unique soil structure delineates the grand and premier cru areas of Chablis, imparting a finesse to the Chardonnay that is precise, elegant and exceptional.
- Density: 6,700 vines/hectare (2,711 vines/acre)
2009 is a vintage to remember with a generous amount of sunny days throughout the vegetative cycle and ripening season which paved the way for an early harvest in September. The contrast of sunny days and cool nights resulted in ripe grapes with good freshness and an excellent aromatic synthesis. 2009 is a fruity, complex, balanced and harmonious vintage to be enjoyed now or cellared for a decade.
- Harvest Date(s): September 15-30
- Yields: 58 hl/ha (4.3 tons/acre)
Pressing: Whole bunches in a pneumatic press, then 12 hours settling at 12°-15°C (53°-59°F) in specially designed wide tanks that accelerate the natural settling process
- Fermentation: 2 weeks at 17°C (62°F), 15% in French oak barrels, 85% in stainless steel
- Malolactic: 100%
- Aging: 9 months, 15% in French oak barrels, 85% in stainless steel
- Filtration: Minimum filtration to preserve the maximum natural character of the wine
- Bottled: Under low pressure on a bottling line designed to protect quality
- Varietal Composition: 100% Chardonnay
- Production (in cases): 5,000 cases
- Production Case Pack: 6/750ml
- Alcohol: 12.5%
Appearance: Bright gold color
Aroma: Elegant with citrusy aromas and mineral overtones
Taste: Racy style with fine white fruit flavors balanced by zesty freshness; a touch of minerality on the persistent finish
Aging Potential: 5 to 8 years
Chablis Premier Cru Les Vaudevey – 2009 – Chablis keeps it clean, unadorned – Chicago Tribune
"This vintage release is still on shelves, so there's nice softening age and the beginnings of tertiary aroma development (mango jam, honeyed nuts)."
Chablis Premier Cru Les Vaudevey – 2009 – 91 points – The Wine Advocate
“The cooler, later-ripening side of Chablis comes through in the 2009 Chablis Les Vaudevey. Slate, crushed rocks, green apples, melon and white peaches emerge from the glass. Floral notes add lift on the bright finish.”
Chablis Premier Cru Les Vaudevey – 2009 – 88 points – Wine Spectator Online
“This concentrated white has density and substance to support its peach, apple and grapefruit flavors. Balanced, lingering on the finish.”
Chablis Premier Cru Les Vaudevey – 2009 – 89(+?) points – Stephen Tanzer’s International Wine Cellar
“Very pale, bright yellow. Hints of white truffle and earth on the nose, with a suggestion of biscuity lees. Ripe peach and apple flavors seem quite backward and dry for 2009, but the finish avoids coming off as hot. Nicely rich premier cru…”