Charmes-Chambertin — 2021
This charming Grand Cru is situated on the most northern part of the hillside, in the commune of Gevrey Chambertin. The production areas for the Charmes-Chambertin and MazoyèresChambertin appellations are the same and it is the Charmes-Chambertin appellation that is usually specified.
- Viticulture: Currently undergoing Organic Conversion
- Size: 0.81 ha
- Vine Age: Years planted: 1925, 1930, 1959, 1999
- Soil: Brown soils with around 40% clay content, lava and iron.
- Exposure: East
- Fermentation: Partial whole cluster fermentation with daily punch downs for a 19 day vatting period
- Barrel Aging: 16-18 months in French oak barrels- 60% new oak
- Filtration: Light filtration using the lenticular module process
- Fining: No fining
- Alcohol: 13.5%
Charmes-Chambertin reveals an attractive deep ruby red hue and rich nose disclosing a variety of small red fruits, spices, and flowers. This indulgent yet very elegant wine offers silky smooth tannins although it requires a few years in the bottle before it reaches its full potential.