Collepiano, Montefalco Sagrantino DOCG – 2012
Collepiano represents the renaissance of Montefalco as a wine region and Sagrantino as a unique variety grown only in Montefalco. Collepiano is Sagrantino’s area of production at Caprai. The name recalls the gentle slopes that characterize these hills.
- Appellation: Montefalco Sagrantino DOCG
- Cultivation: 100% sustainable
- Size: 12 ha (29.64 acres)
- Vine Age: 40 years
- Soil: Limestone, clay
- Elevation: 250 meters (820 feet)
- Density: 5,500 vines/hectare (2,227 vines/acre)
- Training: Spurred cordon
- First Year of Production: 1979
A vintage of low productivity which translates into an extraordinary quality of wines. August and September are warm and dry with diffused rainfall and balanced ripening. Wines of great complexity and aromatic structure. Prolonged ripening assured an optimal polyphenolic texture.
- Aging: 22 months in French oak barriques; minimum 6 months aging in bottle
- Varietal Composition: 100% Sagrantino
- Alcohol: 14.5%
- TA: 5.5 g/L
- p H: 3.7
- RS: < 1 g/L
Blackberry, clove, vanilla and herbal notes. Extraordinary, intense and complex.
Arnaldo Caprai Collepiano, Montefalco Sagrantino DOCG – 2012 – Wine Spectator – 92 Points
Appealing notes of star anise and lavender accent the flavors of crushed black cherry, Kalamata olive and date in this elegant, full-bodied red. Finely meshed, with supple tannins firming the mineral-tinged finish. Best from 2020 through 2028.