Collepiano, Montefalco Sagrantino DOCG — 2018
Collepiano represents the renaissance of Montefalco as a wine region and Sagrantino as a unique variety grown only in Montefalco. Collepiano is Sagrantino’s area of production at Caprai. The name recalls the gentle slopes that characterize these hills.
- Appellation: Montefalco Sagrantino DOCG
- Cultivation: 100% sustainable
- Size: 12 ha (30 acres)
- Vine Age: 40 years
- Soil: Limestone, clay
- Elevation: 250 meters (820 feet)
- Density: 5,500 vines/hectare (2,227 vines/acre)
- Training: Spurred cordon
- First Year of Production: 1979
Summer was well balanced in temperature average. A good alternation of sunshine and rain guaranteed a slow but ideal ripening of the grapes. Medium-late harvest and very well-balanced wines.
- Harvest Date(s): October
- Aging: 22 months in French oak barriques; minimum 6 months aging in bottle
- Varietal Composition: 100% Sagrantino
- Alcohol: 15.5%
- TA: 5.2 g/L
- p H: 3.79
- RS: < 1 g/L
- Optimum Drinking: 10-15 years
AROMA: Blackberry jam, pepper, clove, and vanilla
TASTE: Powerful yet elegant; bold tannins hint at the ability for long aging.
- Serving Suggestions: Roasted meat preferably one with a bit of fat content, game, beef stew