Crémant Demi-sec, North Coast – 2013
Schramsberg Crémant Demi-sec is a delicate, off-dry sparkling wine: an American original. Crémant is French for “creamy” and traditionally refers to a wine with light effervescence. It has approximately half the pressure of Schramsberg’s other sparkling wines and presents a creamier texture with more exotic flavors. Schramsberg made California’s first Crémant in 1972. After rigorous study, Jack and Jamie Davies chose a unique California grape named Flora (a cross of Sémillon and Gewürztraminer developed at UC Davis) to be the core component of this sparkling wine. Flora unites the fruit-forward character of Gewürztraminer with the strength and depth of Sémillon. Aging on the yeast for about two years prior to disgorgement adds complexity, yet the wine will retain its youthful appeal for 20 years or more.
Schramsberg Crémant Demi-sec has been served at many State events, including President Reagan’s Second Inaugural Luncheon and President Clinton’s dinner for the prime minister of Canada. Most recently, the Crémant Demi-sec was served at a White House Dinner hosted by President Obama for Bilateral Chairpersons of the Congressional Committees.
- Appellation: Napa Valley
- County Composition: 89% Napa, 7% Mendocino, 3% Santa Maria Valley, 1% Sonoma
- Harvest Date(s): August 13 - September 14
- Barrel Fermentation: 11%
- Varietal Composition: 78% Flora, 13% Pinot Noir, 9% Chardonnay
- Production (in cases): 1,991
- Production Case Pack: 12/750ml
- Alcohol: 13.2%
- TA: 0.62g/100ml
- p H: 3.03
- RS: 3.80g/100ml
“Our 2013 Cremant has developed aromas of pineapple, peach and baked pear,
complemented by hints of brioche toast and meyer lemon. The flavors are bright and refreshing on entry with nuances of dried apricot, vanilla and apple. The palate is soft and creamy with a long lingering finish.”
– Winemakers Sean Thompson and Hugh Davies
- Serving Suggestions: The sweetness in Crémant is subtle, providing a fine balance with desserts, such as fruit tarts, poached fruits, light cakes, custards, exotic sorbets, gingerbread, and crème brûlée. It also compliments a wide range of spicy Asian foods, blue cheeses, and matches especially well with foie gras.
Crémant Demi-sec, North Coast – 2013 – 92 points – Wine Enthusiast
“This off-dry sparkling is made from 78% Flora, 13% Pinot Noir and 9% Chardonnay. It works in its inviting, rich array of stone-fruit and tropical accents, met by a floral underbelly of inviting aroma. Creamy, voluptuous and well-made, it’ll pair well with spicy dishes and is perfectly refreshing and delightful on its own.”