Crémant Demi-sec, North Coast – 2015
The Schramsberg Crémant Demi-sec is a delicate, off-dry sparkling wine: an American original. Crémant is French for “creamy” and traditionally refers to a wine with light effervescence. It has approximately two-thirds the pressure of the other sparkling wines and presents a creamier texture with more exotic flavors. Schramsberg made it’s first Crémant in 1972. After rigorous study, Jack and Jamie Davies chose a unique California grape named Flora (a cross of Sémillon and Gewürztraminer developed at UC Davis) to be the core component of this sparkling wine. Flora unites the fruit-forward character of Gewürztraminer with the strength, depth and minerality of Sémillon. Aging on the yeast for two years prior to disgorgement adds complexity, yet the wine will retain its youthful appeal for 20 years or more.
Schramsberg Crémant Demi-sec has been served at many U.S. State events, including President Reagan’s Second Inaugural Luncheon and President Obama’s White House Dinner for China’s Xi Jinping. Most recently, the Crémant Demi-sec was served at the White House Governor’s Ball Dinner hosted by President Donald Trump.
- Appellation: Napa Valley
- County Composition: 100% Napa
- Harvest Date(s): July 23 - September 21, 2015
- Barrel Fermentation: 23%
- Disgorged: August 21-27, 2018
- Varietal Composition: 64% Flora, 22% Chardonnay, 14% Pinot Noir
- Production (in cases): 2,037
- Production Case Pack: 12/750ml
- Alcohol: 12.5%
- TA: 7.3g/L
- p H: 3.16
- RS: 40.8g/L
- Release Date: December 1, 2018
“Our 2015 Crémant has developed aromas of pineapple, peach, glazed orange and citrus peel, complemented by hints of toasted brioche and honey. The flavors are bright and refreshing on entry with layers of apricot, mango and guava, balanced by cinnamon. The palate is bright fruit on entry with a balanced sweetness and clean finish.”
– Winemakers Sean Thompson and Hugh Davies
- Serving Suggestions: The sweetness in Crémant is subtle, providing a fine balance with desserts, such as fruit tarts, poached fruits, light cakes, custards, exotic sorbets, gingerbread and crème brûlée. It also complements a wide range of spicy Asian foods, blue cheeses, and matches especially well with foie gras.
Schramsberg Crémant Demi-sec, North Coast – 2015 – Wine Enthusiast – 93 Points
This impressive bottling relies on Flora grapes for its core (67%), blended with 19% Chardonnay and 14% Pinot Noir. There's an intentional sweetness to the wine that makes it off dry in peach, pineapple and honey. Lively acidity keeps it balanced with a lift and energy in between the welcome richness.