Crémant Demi-sec, North Coast — 2017
The Schramsberg Crémant Demi-sec is a delicate, off-dry sparkling wine: an American original. Crémant is French for “creamy” and traditionally refers to a wine with light effervescence. It has approximately two-thirds the pressure of our other sparkling wines and presents a creamier texture with more exotic flavors. Schramsberg made its first Crémant in 1972. After rigorous study, Jack and Jamie Davies chose a unique California grape named Flora (a cross of Sémillon and Gewürztraminer developed at UC Davis) to be the core component of this sparkling wine. Flora unites the fruit-forward character of Gewürztraminer with the strength, depth and minerality of Sémillon. Aging on the yeast for two years prior to disgorgement adds complexity, yet the wine will retain its youthful appeal for 20 years or more.
Schramsberg Crémant Demi-sec has been served at many U.S. State events, including President Reagan’s Second Inaugural Luncheon and President Obama’s White House Dinner for China’s President Jinping. Most recently, the Crémant Demi-sec was served at President Trump’s White House dinner honoring French President Macron.
- Appellation: Napa Valley
- County Composition: 100% Napa
For the 2017 vintage, abundant winter rains prior to the growing season helped recharge reservoirs and groundwater. Spring weather was cool to mild, with increased vine vigor and extended flowering in some areas. After a summer of heat spikes, harvest started in the beginning of August. Warm days and cool nights throughout harvest encouraged exceptional fruit development while maintaining bright acidity.
- Harvest Date(s): August 17 - September 11, 2017
- Barrel Fermentation: 9%
- Varietal Composition: 65% Flora, 33% Chardonnay, 2% Pinot Noir
- Production (in cases): 2,108 (9 liter)
- Production Case Pack: 12/750ml
- Alcohol: 12.5%
- TA: 7.4 g/l
- p H: 3.16
- RS: 35 g/l
- Release Date: April 1, 2021
“The 2017 Crémant has inviting aromas of baked peach, puff pastry and spiced citrus that are highlighted by hints of honey, ginger and cinnamon. The palate is rounded with bright flavors of pineapple, candied citrus and créme brûlée, which lead to a luscious, well-balanced finish.”
– Winemakers Sean Thompson and Hugh Davies
- Serving Suggestions: The sweetness in Crémant is subtle, providing a fine balance with desserts, such as fruit tarts, poached fruits, light cakes, custards, exotic sorbets, gingerbread and crème brûlée. It also compliments a wide range of spicy Asian foods, blue cheeses and matches especially well with foie gras.