Domaine du Nozay — 2021
This terroir is very rich in shell fossils and has the particularity of whitening as it dries, hence its local name of Terres Blanches “white lands”. Being also sticky and very difficult to access when wet, it is also found under the term “big earth”. This layer is a succession of very irregular thicknesses comprised of marl interspersed with limestone beds. Domaine du Nozay is made from a blend of 3 single vineyards each containing a different soil type from the 3 main soils of Sancerre.
The priority tasks of Domaine du Nozay are to observe, reflect, act, and wait.
- Viticulture: Organic & Biodynamic
- Vine Age: 17-37 years old
- Soil: Kimmeridgian marls, Caillottes, Silex
- Elevation: Northeast exposure, with rows planted north/south
The 2021 vintage in Sancerre was challenging to say the least, resulting in yields of around 50% of a normal year. In April, an overwhelming frost damaged one-third of the buds. The rain and high humidity of the summer added to the year’s challenges.
- Fermentation: Naturally in stainless steel barrel-shaped vats and in terracotta jars
- Aging: Stainless steel barrel-shaped vats
- Filtration: Light lenticular filtration
- Fining: No fining
- Varietal Composition: 100% Sauvignon Blanc
- Alcohol: 13%
- RS: 0.16 g/L
A brilliant and intense color with golden reflections distilling elegant and discreet aromas of pink grapefruit, lychee, lemon, and especially of sliced yellow peach. With an ideal acidity carried by an admirably structured body, its refreshing notes of pear in syrup, give it a certain pleasure on the palate.
Domaine du Nozay — 2021 – Vinous – 90 Points
'“A golden appearance. It displays a rich, lightly oxidative nose of baked apples, honey and an atypical but intriguing herbal character akin to fennel. Full and silky in the mouth, there's an appealing phenolic hug on the finish. This is an attractive wine.”