Forcada, DO Penedès — 2017
Forcada, an ancestral varietal, was rediscovered by Famila Torres in the northwestern part of DO Penedès, in the foothills of the Roca Forcada Mountain, near Vall de Bianya. The variety does very well in the region’s clay soils. Grown at 450 meters, away from the sea’s influence, and surprising for its aromatic intensity and freshness. Forcada is an unique white grape, ripening at the end of the season and one of the last varieties of the Familia Torres harvest each year.
- DO Penedès
- Appellation: DO Penedès
- Vine Age: Planted in 2014
- Soil: Deep, reddish calcareous clay soils that are moderately well drained and have a high water holding capacity, allowing white varieties to develop their full aromatic expression.
- Elevation: 510m (1,673 feet)
- Orientation: North
An early harvest due to high temperatures from late spring through early summer, which was generally hot, but saw milder temperatures toward the end. The grapes were in good health and under these conditions they reached optimal maturation.
- Harvest Date(s): End of September
- Fermentation: In stainless steel tanks under controlled temperatures
- Aging: 6% in new oak for 3 months, 17% in used oak for 3 months and with its lees in concrete tanks
- Varietal Composition: 100% Forcada
- Alcohol: 13%
- TA: 6.65 g/L
- p H: 2.92
- RS: 1 g/L
- Optimum Drinking: 6-8 years