Forcada, DO Penedès — 2019
Forcada, an ancestral varietal, was rediscovered by Famila Torres in the northwestern part of DO Penedès, in the foothills of the Roca Forcada Mountain, near Vall de Bianya. The variety does very well in the region’s clay soils. Grown at 450 meters, away from the sea’s influence, and surprising for its aromatic intensity and freshness. Forcada is an unique white grape, ripening at the end of the season and one of the last varieties of the Familia Torres harvest each year.
- DO Penedès
- Appellation: DO Penedès
- Vine Age: Planted in 2014
- Soil: Deep, reddish calcareous clay soils that are moderately well drained and have a high water holding capacity, allowing white varieties to develop their full aromatic expression.
- Elevation: 510m (1,673 feet)
- Orientation: North
Widely considered an excellent vintage, although with lower yields than previous years. Rainfall during flowering challenged early fruit set followed by a fairly dry summer. Even and moderate temperatures during a long harvest period allowed for optimal ripeness with little threats of challenging weather. A gradual harvest, as best per plot of vineyard, was possible and allowed for ideal grape development.
- Harvest Date(s): End of September
- Fermentation: 100% whole cluster pressing with fermentation in stainless steel tanks under controlled temperatures
- Aging: 10% of wine is aged in second use 300 liter French oak casks for 4 months
- Varietal Composition: 100% Forcada
- Alcohol: 13%
- TA: 8.07 g/L
- p H: 2.91
- Optimum Drinking: 6-8 years