Forcada, DO Penedès — 2020
Forcada, an ancestral varietal, was rediscovered by Familia Torres in the Ripollès area, in the foothills of the Roca Forcada Mountain, near Vall de Bianya. The variety does very well in the Penedes region’s clay soils. Grown at 510 meters, away from the sea’s influence, and surprising for its aromatic intensity and freshness. Forcada is a unique white grape, ripening at the end of the season and one of the last varieties that Familia Torres harvests each year.
- DO Penedès
- Appellation: DO Penedès
- Vine Age: Planted in 2014
- Soil: Deep, reddish calcareous clay soils that are moderately well drained and have a high water holding capacity, allowing white varieties to develop their full aromatic expression.
- Elevation: 510m (1,673 feet)
- Orientation: North
The 2020 vintage saw abundant rainfall during the growth season, with irregular temperatures throughout the first part of the year.
- Harvest Date(s): End of September
- Fermentation: In stainless steel tanks under controlled temperatures
- Aging: 95% in stainless steel tanks on fine lees for 6 months; 5% in second-use oak for 6 months with bâttonage
- Varietal Composition: 100% Forcada
- Alcohol: 13%
- TA: 6.8 g/L
- p H: 2.91
- Optimum Drinking: 6-8 years