Gevrey-Chambertin 1er Cru “La Combe Aux Moines” — 2021
During the construction of the Château de Gevrey-Chambertin, the monks of Cluny would gather in the valley after a hard day of laboring the vineyards. The soils in this parcel are the same as in “Les Cazetiers” although the parcel is located slightly higher up. This truly is a remarkable terroir.
- Viticulture: Currently undergoing Organic Conversion
- Size: 1.24 ha
- Vine Age: Years planted: 1933, 1935, 1980, 1984, 1988, 2017
- Soil: Fossiliferous rock and white marls
- Exposure: North-East
- Fermentation: Partial whole cluster fermentation with daily punch downs for a 19 day vatting period
- Barrel Aging: 16 months in French oak barrels- 40-50% new oak
- Filtration: Light filtration using the lenticular module process
- Fining: No Fining
- Varietal Composition: Pinot Noir
- Alcohol: 13.5%
Intense ruby red color and an attractive nose offering fresh red fruits, sweet spice, oaky notes, and a touch of smoke. The palate is smooth and persistent with fruity, oaky notes that linger on the finish. A remarkably elegant wine with silky smooth tannins and a very distinctive finish.