Gonfaus, DO Penedès — 2021
The Gonfaus grape was rediscovered in 1998 and eventually planted at the Purgatori estate in Les Garrigues, Lleida, where it has adapted exceptionally well. Gonfaus is a very low-yielding grape variety. The wines present complex aromas of ripe fruit with somewhat spicy undertones and display well-integrated acidity, good concentration, and ripe, sweet tannins.
- Appellation: Penedès
- Vine Age: Planted in 2004 to 2017
- Soil: Moderately deep, alkaline clay soils with moderate water holding capacity and very high levels of active limestone.
- Elevation: 330-541 m (1,673 feet)
- Orientation: North-South
Generally speaking, 2021 saw little rain, although there was significant snowfall in January in the high-lying areas of the l’Aranyò estate, which benefitted the vegetative growth cycle of the grapevines. Temperatures fell within normal range, with a warmer than usual month of February.
- Harvest Date(s): End of September
- Fermentation: In concrete and stainless steel tanks
- Aging: 6 months in 50% new French oak barrels
- Varietal Composition: 100% Gonfaus
- Alcohol: 14.5%
- TA: 6.96 g/L
- p H: 3.28
- RS: 0.8 g/L
- Optimum Drinking: 10 years aging potential