Grillo Timpa Sicilia DOC — 2022
Timpa is the name of the cru from which the grapes hail. The name has its origins in the Sicilian word, “timpa” meaning strong slope. In fact the vineyard climbs up a hill with a degree that exceeds 70%.
- Appellation: Grillo della Timpa Sicilia DOC
- Location: Cammarata (Agrigento)
- Viticulture: Certified Organic
- Vine Age: 30+ years old vines, grafted by hand onto wild plants
- Soil: Sandy
- Elevation: 700 meters (2,297 feet) above sea level
- Exposure: East facing
- Density: 4,400 vines per hectare (1,781 vines per acre)
- Training: Vertical trellis
The 2022 vintage was characterized by climatic conditions that were favorable. The annual precipitation was above average and concentrated in the winter, early spring and in the autumn months, towards the end of the harvest. The abundance of rain and snowfall in the winter and early spring caused strong underground reserves of water, which nurtured the vines during the drier months. As rainfall was absent in the summer until mid-September, some areas of the vineyard nonetheless required supplemental irrigation. Temperatures were in line with annual averages and as typical of the land, cool nights offset the hot summer days, allowing for ample acidity to form in the grapes. The 2022 vintage bore excellent fruit, both in terms of quantity and quality.
- Fermentation: 100% in cement containers, in contact with the skins for a quarter of the fermentation process.
- Aging: Sur lies with batonnage in cement containers for 6 months.
- Varietal Composition: 100% Grillo
- Alcohol: 13.0%
- p H: 2.8 g/l
- RS: 2.5 g/l
Straw yellow in color with green reflections. The nose has strong notes of white peach and loquat, with floral aromas of Sicilian Spanish broom, jasmine and almond flowers on the finish. On the palate, it is fresh, persistent and has a remarkable acidity that is well-balanced with the alcohol. It has a long and soft finish.
Grillo Timpa Sicilia DOC — 2022 – Vinous – 90 Points
“The 2022 Grillo Timpa lifts from the glass with a minty freshness, blending sweet green melon with candied lime suggestions. It's soft and enveloping, with brisk acidity ushering in citrus-tinged orchard fruits and saline minerals that add a crunchy sensation. The 2022 finishes perfumed and wickedly fresh. The mouth is left watering as barely-ripe kiwi hints fade."
Grillo Timpa Sicilia DOC — 2022 – Wine Enthusiast – 92 Points
"White peaches, apricots and jasmine are on the nose with a spritz of lime that announces the coming citrus-soaked palate, where limes meet lemons and oranges before a salty, sanguine finish."