Héloïse, Vin de Pays du Vaucluse – 2013
Héloïse and Abélard (our other flagship red wine) are one of history’s most celebrated couples, known for their intellectual brilliance, passionate love affair, eloquent letters and the tragedy that cruelly separated them. Sometimes referred to as “the Romeo and Juliet of France,” they were actually far more complex and accomplished individuals, and their love spanned many decades during the Middle Ages until the end of their lives, making it a symbol of enduring romantic love. The perfumed, intense but restrained character of this Syrah blend reminded us of Héloïse, whose intellect was matched by passion which, though bridled, never died.
- Viticulture: Organic and biodynamic practices, certified BeeFriendly and HVE 3 sustainable viticulture (highest tier
- Vine Age: Grenache - over 60 years old; Syrah - 50 years old
- Soil: Clay and limestone, very stony
- Elevation: Grenache - 530 meters (1,738 feet); Syrah - 540 meters (1,771 feet)
- Exposure: Grenache - northwest facing; 530 meters (1,738 feet); Syrah - southwest facing; 540 meters (1,771 feet)
- Fermentation: In wooden tanks, with skin maceration for 5 weeks; 100% malolactic
- Barrel Aging: 18 months in mix of old and new French oak from various coopers, primarily 228-liter (60-gallon) barrels with medium and medium-plus toast; plus 12 months in concrete tanks
- Filtration: Unfiltered
- Fining: Unfined
- Varietal Composition: 65% Syrah, 31% Grenache Noir, 4% Roussanne
- Alcohol: 14%
Appearance: A deep, brilliant crimson color.
Nose: Complex with aromas of truffle, dark fruits and blackberries with fragrant hints of violet.
Palate: A fleshy mouth-feel, both dense and elegant with notes of mature fruit and refined tannins.
Finish: Very long with notes of truffle.
- Serving Suggestions: A generous and intense blend with strong aging potential, ideally suited to game birds, poultry, lamb and roasted vegetables. Decant for 2-3 hours and serve at room temperature.