Mâcon-Verzé — 2019
At the beginning of 2003, SCE Domaine Leflaive acquired five parcels (Les Chênes, En Perret, Le Monté, Escolles and Les Muses) of mature Chardonnay vines in the commune of Verzé in the Mâconnais (the Mâcon-Verzé appellation).
From the very first year, the vines were cultivated biodynamically. Cultivation of the vineyards is carried out by Paul de Noüe (a member of the Leflaive family) within SCE Joseph LEFLAIVE, which is a subsidiary of Domaine Leflaive.
- Appellation: Mâcon-Villages
- Viticulture: 100% biodynamic
- Size: 9.3 hectares (22.98 acres)
- Vine Age: Average 28 years
- Soil: Calcareous clay
- Density: 6,000 vines/hectare (2,248 vines/acre)
- Fermentation: In stainless-steel tanks using indigenous yeast
- Malolactic: 100%
- Aging: 16 months in stainless steel followed by fining and very light filtering if necessary
- Filtration: Very light
- Fining: Homeopathic
The Mâcon-Verzé is a wine of great purity, both floral and mineral, expressing a lively energy, ready to be enjoyed earlier than the wines of Puligny-Montrachet.
Domaine Leflaive Mâcon-Verzé — 2019 – Burghound – 91 Points
A pretty nose is comprised by pronounced floral elements that add a touch of elegance to the bright citrus and apple scents. The middle weight flavors exude a bracing salinity on the clean and nicely dry finale. While this could easily be enjoyed upon release, it offers enough development potential to reward a few years of keeping.