Mandorlo Dolcetto d’Alba DOC — 2020
Mandorlo is a proprietary name derived from the area where the vineyard is located, which is on the Ravera hillside in the village of Novello in the Langhe region.
- Grape Source: 100% estate vineyards located on the top of the hill; Novello village; Ravera area
- Cultivation: Vertical trellising, Guyot pruning, 100% organic (not yet certified)
- Vine Age: One hectare is 10 years old, the rest are more than 30 years old
- Soil: Limestone/clay, with a small percentage of sand
- Elevation: 380 meters (1,246 feet) above sea level
- Exposure: Southern
- Density: 5,000 vines/hectare (2,021 vines/acre)
The first part of 2020 season has been characterized by mild temperatures, sunny days and little rainfall, all factors that have led us to think of an early start of the growing season. This trend changed sharply during April and May, when spring has finally shown its true face, with fresher temperatures and significant amount of rains.
Summer season went on with the alternation of sunny days and thunderstorms, which caused huge differences in temperature range, assuring our wines a complex and delightful aromatic profile. During the last part of the season our grapes had the opportunity to grow up healthy and in good shape. At the harvest moment they showed optimal figures and very good quality, reaching a perfect phenolic and technological ripening due also to the favorable climate of September, characterized by mild temperatures and very cool nights. We started the harvest in September with Dolcetto grapes. Soon after, the harvest proceeded with Nascetta, Barbera Bricco dei Merli and Barbera Pre-Phylloxera. And last Nebbiolo! In conclusion, the 2020 harvest may be considered an excellent one and we can look forward to wines characterized by complexity, great structure and long aging potential.
- Fermentation: In stainless steel, temperature-controlled, automatic pump-over
- Aging: 6 months in stainless steel, followed by 6 months in bottle
- Varietal Composition: 100% Dolcetto
- Alcohol: 13%
- TA: 5.52 g/L
- RS: 0.18 g/L
Purity and drinkability are the main properties of the 2020 Dolcetto d’Alba Mandorlo. The aromatic profile is really satisfying and is focused on the freshness of the fruit, with blackberry and plum in the forefront. It is clean and juicy on the palate, showing an overall feeling of great balance. This Dolcetto d’Alba is a versatile wine that can be drunk as an aperitif or paired with cold cuts and fresh cheese.
Elvio Cogno Mandorlo Dolcetto d’Alba DOC — 2020 – The Wine Advocate – 90 Points
A delightfully easy and genuine expression of this versatile and food-friendly grape. From a classic vintage that was most kind to the many indigenous grapes grown across the Langa, this wine is bursting with red cherry fruit and fresh raspberry. Those sweet tones are rounded off by a drying note of crushed aspirin.