Mandorlo Dolcetto d’Alba DOC — 2022
Mandorlo is a proprietary name derived from the area where the vineyard is located, which is on the Ravera hillside in the village of Novello in the Langhe region.
- Grape Source: 100% estate vineyards located on the top of the hill; Novello village; Ravera area
- Cultivation: Vertical trellising, Guyot pruning, 100% organic (not yet certified)
- Vine Age: One hectare is 10 years old, the rest are more than 30 years old
- Soil: Limestone/clay, with a small percentage of sand
- Elevation: 380 meters (1,246 feet) above sea level
- Exposure: Southern
- Density: 5,000 vines/hectare (2,021 vines/acre)
The 2022 vintage was exceptional due to unusual weather conditions and unexpected results. There was a scarcity of rain and snow during winter, and summer was characterized by earliness, drought, and record-breaking temperatures. However, grapes were healthy and beautiful at harvest time, thanks to some key factors. Rain showers in July and August and cool nights during the growing season helped limit the effects of drought and high temperatures. The experience gained over the years and the unstoppable strength of nature was also essential. Vines are self-regulated depending on the water reserves in the soil, allowing them to deal with severe drought. Despite the worrisome conditions, all new wines have great character, bright freshness, harmony, and good potential for long aging.
- Fermentation: In stainless steel, temperature-controlled, automatic pump-over
- Aging: 6 months in stainless steel, followed by 6 months in bottle
- Varietal Composition: 100% Dolcetto
- Alcohol: 14%
- TA: 5.47 g/L
- RS: 0.18 g/L
The Dolcetto d’Alba Mandorlo 2022 favors a return to the land and the roots. Authentic and without frills, this wine represents the Dolcetto of tradition. Aromas of sweet fruit, mainly juicy cherry and blueberry, and fresh f lowers in evidence. Drinkability and balance are the peculiarities of this wine, which, during the tasting experience, offers an elegant note of wild fruit that accompanies the sip in the entire length.
Mandorlo Dolcetto d’Alba DOC — 2022 – Jeb Dunnuck – 91 Points
“This is flush with the primary fruit of blackberry, violets, and dusty earth. Medium to full-bodied, with good concentration, crunchy red plum and raspberry, and sweet tannins, it delivers a pleasant lift on the finish.”