Mas La Plana, DO Penedès — 2005
The most pristine bunches of old-vine Cabernet Sauvignon are hand selected to craft Torres’ most prestigious red wine. A 1979 blind tasting in Paris, the Gault-Millau Wine Olympics, placed some of the world’s most respected wines such as Châteaux Latour against newcomers including Torres. The wine from Mas la Plana vineyard triumphed, placing first, and deserved recognition, putting Penedès on the map as benchmark quality for the best red wines in the world.
- Appellation: DO Penedès
- Soil: Deep, yellowish grey-brown alluvial soils that are well drained and have a moderate water holding capacity. Made up of interbedded layers of gravel, sand, and clay.
A year marked by strong drought. The winter was very cold and extremely dry, without any significant amount of rain to stock up soil water reserves.
- Fermentation: In stainless steel tanks under controlled temperatures
- Maceration: 28 days maceration
- Barrel Aging: 18 months in new French oak
- Varietal Composition: 100% Cabernet Sauvignon
- Alcohol: 14.05%
- TA: 5.2 g/L
- p H: 3.37
- RS: 1.2 g/L