Schramsberg Vineyards

California: Napa Valley, United States

Mirabelle Brut, California – Non Vintage

download facts sheet Download tasting notes where to buy
  • Introduction

    • Mirabelle is Schramsberg’s multi-vintage brut sparkling wine. Twenty years into building an outstanding range of vintage-dated sparkling wines, the Davies family set out to master the non-vintage or “multi-vintage” traditional method technique. A few years of experimentation would ultimately lead to the successful launch of Mirabelle Brut and Mirabelle Brut Rose in 1992.

      Unlike our vintage bottlings, Mirabelle gains unique richness from blending additions of aged base wines, stored in barrels and tanks at the winery from prior vintages. These older lots add significant palate richness and aromatic complexity. Starting in 2022, the Mirabelle packaging started to designate the bottling number to give specificity to each bottling of Mirabelle, and to highlight the vintage which is primarily in the blend. For this 31st bottling, the 2019 vintage makes up 80% of the blend, with the other 20% being from select base wines from previous vintages.

      This flavorful, bright bubbly exhibits the crisp acidity and vibrant apple/citrus fruit that is characteristic of cool-climate Chardonnay. Pinot Noir adds body to the palate and further depth of fruit flavor. The grapes for Mirabelle are grown in the cool climate pockets of California’s North Coast, including the Napa-Carneros, Sonoma Coast, Anderson Valley, and Marin County.

      The fruit is hand-picked in the early morning hours at optimal maturity. Individual lot fermentations allow the winemakers to carefully select the components that make up the finished blend. After bottle fermentation and two years of aging en tirage subsequent trials
      determine the ideal dosage to finish this brut style.

  • Vineyard Profile

    • Appellation: North Coast
    • County Composition: 44% Sonoma, 42% Napa, 9% Mendocino, 3% Marin
  • Technical Information

    • Varietal Composition: 68% Chardonnay, 32% Pinot Noir
    • Vintage Composition: 80% 2019, 20% aged reserve lots
    • Alcohol: 12.5%
    • TA: 7.9 g/L
    • p H: 3.18
    • RS: 9.0 g/L
  • Tasting Notes

    • “This Mirabelle Brut engages the nose with generous aromas of apple, pear, apricot, and melon, layered with hints of orange zest, ginger, caramelized pineapple, cinnamon spice, and vanilla. A crisp palate of lime, Meyer lemon, and tangerine intermingles with fruitful notes of peach and pear, and finishes with undertones of baked apple, and crème brûle.”
      -Winemakers Sean Thompson, Jessica Koga, and Hugh Davies

    • Serving Suggestions: Mirabelle Brut is delicious as a dry apéritif and is also well-suited as an accompaniment to a broad range of foods, including oysters on the half shell, sushi, baked halibut, country fried chicken, cream-based pasta dishes, fruits, nuts and cheeses.

Images

Reviews

  • Schramsberg Vineyards Mirabelle Brut, California – Non Vintage – Beverage Dynamics – 91 Points

    A sparkling wine with great body. Just a touch of biscuit notes on the body, almost a touch of a savory quality, solid acidity. Can be enjoyed with or without food. Traditional method.

  • Schramsberg Vineyards Mirabelle Brut, North Coast – NV – Wine Spectator – 90 Points

    Alluring and nuanced, with expressive pear, brioche, and caramelized hazelnut flavors that finish on a rich, polished note. Drink now. 6,250 cases made.

  • Mirabelle Brut, North Coast – NV – Wine Enthusiast – 93 Points

    This elegant and plush wine is compelling from the first whiff of brioche through creamy, baking-spice flavors to a lingering delicate finish. A luxurious mouthfeel, good balance between crispness and ripeness and a profusion of flavor make it rival the quality of the parent brand, Schramsberg.

  • Schramsberg Mirabelle Brut California – NV – Connoisseur’s Guide to California Wines – 89 Points

    More concerned with polish and precision rather than dramatic richness, the latest edition of Mirabelle Brut is an articulate look at the Méthode Champenoise that combines nicely defined, slightly toasty yeast with a touch of mildly lemony fruit and sports a fine and insistent stream of tiny bubbles. It is in all ways a professional, very well-well-crafted effort and it de

More