Montefalco Rosso DOC — 2018
Montefalco Rosso embodies a great bond between the wine and the area of Montefalco. It is produced from Sangiovese, Sagrantino and Merlot, which epitomizes the character and identity championed by the Arnaldo Caprai winery.
- Appellation: Montefalco Rosso DOC
- Size: 25 hectares
- Vine Age: 25 years
- Soil: Limestone, clay
- Elevation: Rolling hills, 650-985 feet above sea level with eastern exposure
- Density: 5,500 vines/hectare (2,227 vines/acre)
- Training: Spurred cordon
- First Year of Production: 1971
Summer was well balanced in temperature average.A good alternation of sunshine and rain guaranteed a slow but ideal ripening of the grapes. Medium-late harvest and very well-balanced wines.
- Harvest Date(s): Sangiovese: end of September; Sagrantino: first week of October
- Fermentation: 15 days in stainless-steel; indigenous yeast; 100% malolactic fermentation
- Aging: 12 months in French oak barriques; minimum 6 months aging in bottle
- Filtration: Yes
- Fining: No
- Varietal Composition: 70% Sangiovese, 15% Sagrantino, 15% Merlot
- Alcohol: 14.5%
- TA: 5.24%
- p H: 3.73
- RS: Less than 1%
Sensationally intense, with notes of wild flowers, violet and red berry jam. Full bodied, rich, dry with a long finish and delicate hint of spice.
Arnaldo Caprai Montefalco Rosso — 2018 – James Suckling – 91 Points
Aromas of blackberries, blueberries, bay leaves and baking spices. It’s medium-bodied with firm, fine-grained tannins and a chalky texture. Flavorful, savory finish.
Arnaldo Caprai Montefalco Rosso — 2018 – Vinous – 90 Points
Here I’m finding ripe black cherries laced with peppery herbs, as notes of sweet white smoke and purple flowers evolve in the glass. On the palate, silky textures coast across a core of juicy acids, delivering ripe red and blue fruits, and hints of fine tannin slowly collect upon the senses. The finish is long and youthfully structured, resonating on a mix of wild berries and sweet spice. The 2018 Montefalco Rosso from Arnaldo Caprai is cool-toned and really quite pretty, while keeping its fruit front and center. Very nice.