Montefalco Rosso DOC — 2020
Montefalco Rosso embodies a great bond between the wine and the area of Montefalco. It is produced from Sangiovese, Sagrantino and Merlot, which epitomizes the character and identity championed by the Arnaldo Caprai winery.
- Appellation: Montefalco Rosso DOC
- Cultivation: 100% sustainable
- Size: 25 hectares
- Vine Age: 25 years
- Soil: Limestone, clay
- Elevation: Rolling hills, 650-985 feet above sea level with eastern exposure
- Density: 5,500 vines/hectare (2,227 vines/acre)
- Training: Spurred cordon
- First Year of Production: 1975
There were heavy rain showers in May. In June, it got warmer and there was less rain. From July to mid-September, it rained a bit here and there and the temperatures were mild. This weather was perfect for the grapes to ripen and develop their sugar. In September and October, there were a few short storms but overall the temperatures were normal, which was great for the grapes to mature. The resulting wines are well-balanced, elegant, and have a pleasant fresh aroma.
- Harvest Date(s): Sangiovese: End of September; Sagrantino: First week of October
- Fermentation: 15 days in stainless-steel; indigenous yeast; 100% malolactic fermentation
- Aging: 12 months in French oak barriques; minimum 6 months aging in bottle
- Varietal Composition: 70% Sangiovese, 15% Sagrantino, 15% Merlot
- Alcohol: 14.5%
- TA: 5.21 g/L
- p H: 3.69
- RS: <1 g/L
Sensationally intense, with notes of wild flowers, violet and red berry jam. Full bodied, rich, dry with a long finish and delicate hint of spice.