Montefalco Rosso DOC — 2021
Montefalco Rosso embodies a great bond between the wine and the area of Montefalco. It is produced from Sangiovese, Sagrantino and Merlot, which epitomizes the character and identity championed by the Arnaldo Caprai winery.
- Appellation: Montefalco Rosso DOC
- Cultivation: 100% sustainable
- Size: 25 hectares
- Vine Age: 25 years
- Soil: Limestone, clay
- Elevation: Rolling hills, 650-985 feet above sea level with eastern exposure
- Density: 5,500 vines/hectare (2,227 vines/acre)
- Training: Spurred cordon
- First Year of Production: 1975
In April, frost delayed blooming and reduced production, but the quality was still good. During the key ripening stages of the grapes, we had a good amount of rain which ensured a balanced concentration of perfumes and quality compounds, resulting in excellent complexity and aromatic and polyphenolic structure.
- Harvest Date(s): Sangiovese: End of September; Sagrantino: First week of October
- Fermentation: 15 days in stainless-steel; indigenous yeast; 100% malolactic fermentation
- Aging: 12 months in French oak barriques; minimum 6 months aging in bottle
- Varietal Composition: 70% Sangiovese, 15% Sagrantino, 15% Merlot
- Alcohol: 14.5%
- TA: 5.65 g/L
- p H: 3.68
- RS: <1 g/L
Sensationally intense, with notes of wild flowers, violet and red berry jam. Full bodied, rich, dry with a long finish and delicate hint of spice.