Montefalco Rosso DOC Riserva – 2015
Embodies the bolder spirit of its little brother Montefalco Rosso, with a similar composition of Sangiovese, Sagrantino and Merlot. The special vineyard sites and location for this wine rival textural and body characteristics of even the best Brunello di Montalcino.
- Appellation: Montefalco DOC
- Cultivation: 100% sustainable
- Vine Age: 25 years
- Soil: Limestone, clay
- Elevation: 250 meters (820 feet)
- Density: 5,500 vines/hectare (2,227 vines/acre
- Training: Spurred cordon
- First Year of Production: 1993
- Harvest Date(s): Very dry July and August with a good water reserve due to a solid rain during spring time. September and October in the average. Good vintage with a great freshness.
- Aging: 20 months in French oak barriques; minimum 6 months aging in bottle
- Varietal Composition: 70% Sangiovese, 15% Sagrantino, 15% Merlot
- Alcohol: 14.5%
- TA: 5.68g/L
- p H: 3.49
- RS: <1 g/L
Bouquet of wild cherries preserved in spirits, chocolate, violets, vanilla and exotic spices. Full bodied and round, perfectly balanced with vibrant, velvety tannins.
Arnaldo Caprai Montefalco Rosso DOC Riserva – 2015 – Vinous – 92 Points
Tart black cherries, clove, cinnamon, mint and a dusting of cacao create an inviting display as the 2015 Montefalco Rosso Riserva unfolds in the glass. This shows undeniable elegance, as silky textures usher in a polished display of ripe red fruits, spices and hints of tobacco. Tension builds through the close, as sweet tannins saturate, balanced by lively acids, while leaving vivid notes of plum and salted licorice to linger.
Arnaldo Caprai Montefalco Rosso Riserva – 2015 – James Suckling – 94 Points
Welcome to the black hole of Umbrian red wine where you get to experience a new level of tannic density, but this is also married to extraordinary ripeness. For all this, a surprisingly clean and elegant finish. Very savory. Drink or hold.
Arnaldo Caprai Montefalco Rosso Riserva – 2015 – The Wine Advocate – 93+ Points
This wine was not produced in the 2014 vintage, and fruit from that year went into the entry-level Montefalco Rosso instead. However, the 2015 Montefalco Rosso Riserva is a generous and radiant wine that offers accessible tones of black fruit, cherry and savory spice. The blend sees a large element of Sangiovese, and that grape shines bright in this wine, thanks to its elegant tones of wild berry, rose and pressed violet.