Montegrilli Nebbiolo Langhe DOC – 2018
Nebbiolo has always been one of the most beautiful grapes of the Langhe, able to express new nuances and emotions to those who cultivate and vinify it with respect. It is a meaningful gift and great ambassador of its land of origins. Montegrilli is born in the vineyards with the objective of becoming a genuine and focused wine that shows the true personality of the nebbiolo grape. With this in mind, we produce a wine without any aging in wood in order to differentiate it clearly from Barolo, creating a product with great immediacy and drinkability
- Vineyards: 100% Nebbiolo
- Grape Source: 100% estate vineyards in the mid-hill region of Ravera, village of Novello, a selection from the Nebbiolo vineyards for Barolo
- Cultivation: Vertical trellising, Guyot pruning, 100% organic (not yet certified)
- Size: 1 hectare (2.47 acres)
- Vine Age: Average age from 10 - 15 years
- Soil: Limestone and clay
- Elevation: 300 meters (984 feet) above sea level
- Exposure: Southern
- Density: 4,000 vines/hectare (1,619 vines/acre)
The 2018 harvest was quite late and arduous; yet, the crop shows immense promise after a long and engaging growing season. The beginning of spring was quite difficult due to the heavy rain, and the summer was considerably warm and quite dry. The conditions allowed the vines to catch up upon a quite slow start. From the last days of June through the month of July, the sunny days encouraged a fast vegetative growth that required several trimmings and manual leaves thinning, especially in the shaded internal parts that were less active in photosynthesis.These efforts produced even cluster growth, and it carried to an early veraison in the month of August. Toward the beginning of September, the temperature dropped significantly during the night but warm and dry during the day, a perfect condition to promote the phenolic ripening (skin and seeds on the red grapes).
- Fermentation: 100% in stainless steel fermenters with 7 - 10 days skin contact, temperature controlled, automatic pump-overs; 100% with indigenous yeast
- Malolactic: 100% in steel fermenters
- Aging: 8 months in stainless-steel
- Varietal Composition: 100% Nebbiolo
- Alcohol: 14.0%
Deep ruby red in color with a slight orange edge. Harmonious, well-balanced aroma, a pleasant blend of floral, fruity and soft spicy scents, with a finish of rose, violet and vanilla. Fresh, lively bouquet, with harmonious tannins and alcohol and balanced acidity. Soft, elegant and full-bodied with a very long aftertaste. Redolent of freshly macerated red berries, raspberry and red currant.
Elvio Cogno Montegrilli Nebbiolo Langhe DOC – 2018 – James Suckling – 91 Points
Lots of impressive red, blue and darker fruit for a nebbiolo; this is brimming with boysenberries, blueberries, violets and lavender. Medium-bodied and quite chewy for this category with pretty structure and drive. Drink now.
Elvio Cogno Montegrilli Nebbiolo Langhe DOC – 2018 – Wine & Spirits – 90 Points
Valter Fissore ages this wine in stainless-steel tanks for just six months to create a raspy, racy nebbiolo with fresh flavors of cherry and strawberry brightened by a spray of orange peel. Chill it lightly and pour with roast chicken.