Moscato Giallo, Fior D’Arancio Colli Euganei DOCG Spumante — 2021
WINERY: Maeli is nestled in the Euganean Hills, a group of volcanic rolling, cone-shaped slopes that rise above the Padovan-Venetian plane. The variety of the land, the steepness of the hills, the varying exposition of the vineyards, and the peculiarities of the micro-climate motivate, winemaker, Elisa Dilavanzo, to continue to explore and research every aspect of winemaking in this unique land and ancient varietal.
WINE: The wine’s label is fashioned after the shape of a volcano, reminiscent of its volcanic origins. In fact, it is the volcanic soil that differentiates Fior D’Arancio from other muscats. This wine is well-structured with an enduring finale as wave after wave of white balsamic notes contribute to making it complex, rich, and persistent.
- Vineyards: Winery is 100% sustainable and they take every step to practice naturalism in the vineyards and minimal intervention in the winery - biodeiversity and vitality of the soil in the vineyard is key.
- Appellation: Colli Euganei DOCG
- Location: Veneto
- Vine Age: 12-20 years-old
- Soil: Trachyte-ladden clay and white chalk
- Orientation: East/Southeast
- Density: 4,000 vines/hectare (1,619 vines/acre)
- Harvest Date(s): First ten days of September; hand harvested
- Yields: 90 q.li/ha
- Fermentation: Destemming with maceration on the skins for several hours, soft pressing, cold settling and must aging at 0°C. for 12 months. Sparkling process in autoclaves (pressurized tanks) using the Martinotti Method, aging on yeasts for 6 months. 24 months aging in stainless steel, 3 months in bottle.
- Aging: On yeasts for 6 months, 24 months aging in stainless steel, 3 months in bottle
- Varietal Composition: 100% Yellow Muscat (Moscato Giallo)
- Alcohol: 6%
- TA: 6.2 g/l
- p H: 3.40
- RS: 111 g/l
On perusal, the full golden color presents nuances of green, which is made even more brilliant by the elegant, fine, and persistent perlage. The intense aroma releases floral notes of magnolia, jasmine, white roses, and acacia as well as fruity notes of lemons, tangerines, and white peaches which tantalize the nose. On the palate, it is creamy, soft, and well-balanced with a pleasant freshness and fullness of flavor. Well-structured with an enduring finale as wave after wave of white balsamic notes contributes to making it complex, rich, and persistent.