Pouilly-Fuissé — 2019
Domaines Leflaive cultivates 2.16 hectares in the appellation Pouilly-Fuissé. Pouilly-Fuissé, the flagship region of the Mâconnais, is cordoned to the west by a flotilla of prow-shaped rocks, of which the Rock of Solutré is the most famous. (At the base of this cliff is a Stone Age archaeological site containing the skeletons of over 100,000 horses — which gives the name to the archaeologic era of the Solutrian.) The bowl at the foot of the Rock of Solutré is the heartland of the Pouilly-Fuissé appellation, with some of the best soil forming strata on which Chardonnay grows in all of Burgundy. Composed of fossiliferous marl and marly limestone, the area was under the shallow Jurassic sea millions of years ago.
- Appellation: Pouilly-Fuissé
- Viticulture: 100% biodynamic
- Size: 2.16 hectares (5.34 acres)
- Soil: Shallow calcareous clay located around the Roche de Solutre
- First Year of Production: 2012
- Fermentation: In stainless-steel tanks with indigenous yeast
- Malolactic: 100%
- Aging: 12 months in oak casks, 20% new, then 6 months in small, stainless-steel tanks.
- Filtration: Very light
- Fining: Homeopathic
- Varietal Composition: 100% Chardonnay
Domaine Leflaive Pouilly-Fuissé — 2019 – Burghound – 92 Points
Elegant and very pretty aromas of petrol, acacia blossom and various white orchard fruit give way to sleek and relatively sophisticated flavors that are once again markedly saline, which only contributes further to the refreshing and persistent finish. This is lovely and understated.