Pre-Phylloxera Barbera d’Alba DOC — 2021
Coming from a not grafted vineyard located in the western part of the municipality of La Morra.
- Vineyards: 100% estate vineyards in Località Berri, in the village of La Morra
- Cultivation: Vertical trellising, Guyot pruning, 100% organic (not yet certified)
- Size: 0.25 hectare (0.62 acre)
- Vine Age: 120+ years old
- Soil: Very rich in sand, which is a natural protection from Phylloxera attacks
- Elevation: 520 meters (1,706 feet) above sea level
- Exposure: Southern
- Density: 4,500 vines/hectare (1,821 vines/acre)
In 2021, winter had mild temperatures which caused the vines to bud early. There was also abundant rain and moderate snow, which helped provide the necessary water supply during the dry, yet not excessively hot summer. However, the drastic drop in temperature caused the vines’ growth to slow down. May and June were characterized by very windy days, but never excessively hot. The weather in August and September did not stress the vines, as they benefited from previous rain and water reserves in the soil. There was no summer hail or spring frost, and the temperature changes between day and night in September were ideal. The last summer days’ rainfall helped the grapes mature completely.
- Harvest Date(s): Beginning of October
- Fermentation: 100% in stainless-steel fermentors, temperature controlled, automatic pump-overs; 100% with indigenous yeast.
- Malolactic: 100% in steel fermenters
- Aging: 1 year barrel-aging in used, 25-hl (660-gallon) Slavonian oak; bottle-aged for 6 months. Bottled without filtration
- Varietal Composition: 100% Barbera
- Alcohol: 14.5%
- TA: 6.95 g/L
- RS: 0.24 g/L
The Barbera d’Alba Pre-phylloxera 2021 has unique characteristics that make it stand out. It has a strong and distinct scent that combines cherry and berries with pepper, herbs, violet, and balsamic scents. When you taste it, you will notice its zippy freshness, minerality, and fine tannins, which give it a three-dimensional taste and energy. It also perfectly cleanses the palate.