Prelius Cabernet Sauvignon, Maremma Toscana DOC — 2022
- The Label: The label represents the fluid, the essence of the ancient costal lake of Prelius, what now is know as the Maremma Toscana around Grosseto. The lake has slowly disappeared also due to the drainage of the 30s and now the only fluid that’s left is the excellent wine making tradition of the region. The vineyards of Prelius are located on a hilltop along the shores of the ancient lake, 5 miles from the sea facing the majestic Tuscan Archipelago. The label was prize with the gold label and Special Jury Prize for Coordinated Image at the International packaging competition in 2009. It was also awarded with the Red Dot communication award.
- Vineyards: Prile
- Appellation: Maremma Toscana DOC
- Cultivation: 100% organic
- Composition: 100% Cabernet Sauvignon
- Size: 12 hectares (29.7 acres) total; 6.35 hectares (15.7 acres) planted to Cabernet Sauvignon
- Vine Age: Planted 2001-2004
- Soil: 80% sand, 15% clay, 5% silt and gravel
- Elevation: 37-52 meters (120-170 feet)
- Exposure: South-southeast
- Density: 8,649-9,884 vines/hectare (3,500-4,000 vines/acre)
- Training: Guyot
The 2022 vintage was marked by extremely high temperatures from spring through summer, with minimal rainfall. All growth stages happened earlier than usual. The vines experienced moderate water stress, but rains on August 18th and 19th provided relief and allowed for proper ripening.
- Harvest Date(s): August 23rd - September 7th, 2019
- Barrel Aging: 6 months in 30 Hl casks of French oak
- Varietal Composition: 100% Cabernet Sauvignon
- Alcohol: 13.5%
- TA: 5.05 g/L
The nose is expressive, displaying aromas of blackberry, blueberry, and a hint of cinnamon rounding out with seductive oak notes. Color is bright with an intense gem-like quality paired with dark violet highlights. It is a full-bodied wine that displays solid structure and complexity; exhibiting dark red fruit and a lingering finish.