Ravera Barolo DOCG – 2012
Ravera is the name of the cru where the vineyard is located. This vineyard encircles the cellar, it is essentially the hillside vineyard surrounding the farm — the great, classic cru of Novello.
- Vineyards: 100% estate
- Location: Top of the Ravera hill
- Cultivation: 100% organic (not yet certified)
- Size: 5 hectares (12.35 acres)
- Vine Age: 50-70 years
- Soil: Limestone and clay, with presence of sand
- Elevation: 380 meters (1,246 feet)
- Exposure: South, southeast
- Density: 4,000 vines/hectare (1,619 vines/acre)
- Training: Vertical trellising, Guyot pruning
To better understand the 2012 vintage, it is necessary to consider the weather trend during November and December 2011, when the temperatures were above average (around 15-16°C) and the climate was overall very dry. January was similar; but February was snowy and very cold, dropping to -15°C, the coldest temperature in the last 15 years. The springtime was temperate and rainy, especially in April and June, the flowering season, which caused later fruit set and lower density. The summer was very warm, with temperatures peaking at 38°C; but vegetative development was nonetheless regular thanks to the water reserve in the undergrowth.
- Harvest Date(s): October
- Fermentation: 100% in stainless steel, temperature-controlled, with automatic pump overs, post-fermentation maceration for 30 days with submerged cap; skin contact for 40-45 days with fermentation and afterwards, with post-fermentation maceration submerged cap; 100% with indigenous yeast
- Barrel Aging: 2 years barrel-aging in large, used Slavonian oak
- Bottle Aging: 1 year
- Varietal Composition: 100% Nebbiolo da Barolo, Lampia and Michet (sub-varieties of Nebbiolo)
- Production (in cases): 2,160 (6/750ml)
- Cases Imported: 900
- Alcohol: 14%
Traditional Barolo. These two words are enough to describe the Barolo Ravera 2012. The bouquet is intense and enveloping, with scents of ripe fruit, Morellino cherry, truffle, and undergrowth; a very interesting nose that evolves in the glass, with notes of licorice and menthol. On the palate it is full-bodied, round, and elegant, with an aftertaste of blackberry, dark chocolate, licorice, and marked minerality. Strong, persistent, and aromatic, this wine will evolve and improve with age.
Ravera Barolo DOCG – 2012
The bouquet is intense and enveloping, with scents of ripe fruit, Morellino cherry, truffle, and undergrowth. On the palate it is full-bodied, round, and elegant, with an aftertaste of blackberry, dark chocolate, licorice, and marked minerality.
Ravera Barolo DOCG – 2012 – 94 points – Wine & Spirits
“… flavors of ripe red cherry and red plum that feel cool and juicy … on scents of crushed rose petals, orange peel and fresh tobacco. The red fruit flavors deepen … evolving towards notes of anise, cinnamon and dried herbs...”
Ravera Barolo DOCG – 2012 – 93 points – Wine Spectator
“Starts out softly, with cherry, floral, licorice and earth notes, building in intensity to a long finish. Elegant...”
Ravera Barolo DOCG – 2012 – 94 points – Wine Enthusiast
“Lovely scents of rose petal, iris and perfumed berry slowly take shape in this striking wine. The full-bodied palate delivers ripe red cherry, licorice, white pepper, cinnamon and sage alongside firm, fine-grained tannins and fresh acidity…”