Rosso di Montalcino DOC – 2020
- Appellation: Rosso di Montalcino DOC
- Size: 7 ha (17 acres)
- Vine Age: 10 years
- Soil: Sandy soils
- Orientation: Vineyards are located on the northern, southeastern, and southwestern slopes of Montalcino
- Density: 5,000 vines/acre (7,093 vines/hectare)
- Training: Guyot and spurred cordon
In January and February, there was very little rainfall. These two months lacked precipitation as compared to the average. However, in March there were both rain and snowfall. The summer months were pretty mild and flowering occurred between late May and early June without anomalies. High temperatures in July caused some apprehension among winegrowers who feared damage caused by heat burns. The attention and competence in the management of the canopy allowed for adequately protecting the grape bunches and preventing potential damage. In August there were heavy thunderstorms, which pushed the harvest back. The winegrowers’ patience to wait therefore produced grapes with a perfect balance between technological and phenolic ripeness and a relevant aromatic component.
- Aging: 6 months in Slavonian oak followed by 3 months in bottle
- Alcohol: 13.5%
- TA: 5.2 g/L
- p H: 3.39
This vintage showcases a lively nose and exhibits notes of red berry fruits, cherries, and redcurrants, with slightly spicy overtones. The mouth is full and plush, with silky tannins and a juicy finish.
- Serving Suggestions: The perfect accompaniment to a platter of cured meats and cheese. Pasta and rice dishes, white meats, cold roast beef or carpaccio.