Rosso Infinito, Colli Euganei DOC — 2019
WINERY: Maeli is nestled in the Euganean Hills, a group of volcanic rolling, cone-shaped slopes that rise above the Padovan-Venetian plane. The variety of the land, the steepness of the hills, the varying exposition of the vineyards, and the peculiarities of the micro-climate motivate, winemaker, Elisa Dilavanzo, to continue to explore and research every aspect of winemaking in this unique land and ancient varietal.
WINE: The infinity symbol represents the “infinite” amount of surprises this wine delivers throughout the years. The wine’s label is fashioned after the shape of a volcano, reminiscent of its volcanic origins. In fact, it is the volcanic soil that differentiates this wine from other muscats.
- Vineyards: Winery is 100% sustainable and they take every step to practice naturalism in the vineyards and minimal intervention in the winery - biodeiversity and vitality of the soil in the vineyard is key.
- Appellation: Colli Euganei DOC
- Location: Veneto
- Cultivation: Sustainable
- Vine Age: 20-22 years
- Soil: Marl chalk and trachyte-laden clay
- Orientation: East/Southeast - West
- Density: 4,000 vines/hectare (1,619 vines/acre)
- Harvest Date(s): Last ten days of September. Picked by hand using crates.
- Yields: 60 q.li/ha
Total destemming of the grapes, each variety is vinified separately; fermentation takes place at 28° C with autochthonous yeasts for 20-30 days. Malolactic fermentation during the maceration. Aged 6 months in steel and 30 months in concrete tanks. Not clarified, unfiltered. Aged 30 months in steel and 6 months in concrete tanks.
- Aging: Aged 6 months in steel and 30 months in concrete tanks
- Varietal Composition: 41% Carmenere, 33% Merlot, 26% Cabernet Sauvignon
- Alcohol: 14.5%
- TA: 5.3 g/l
- p H: 3.80
- RS: 1.3 g/l
Intense ruby red color with still purple reflections. On the nose, stand-out the aromas of red fruit such as cherry, strawberry, raspberry, and blackberry, vegetable hints of pepper, and a hint of sweet spices such as nutmeg, a hint of cinnamon, and black pepper. The entrance to the soft and generous palate immediately reveals the aromatic power of the grapes from which it derives. Good balance between freshness and softness, elegant and silky tannins, and alcohol well integrated into the important structure of the wine. Mineral hints persist on the finish, and aromas of fruit and spices return pleasantly in an olfactory way on a tense and vibrant finish.