Balifico, Toscana IGT – 2013
The Balifico vineyard shares its name and location with a villa. The first Super-Tuscans were created in the 1970s by Chianti producers who rejected government mandates that determined which grapes were required to go into their wine, especially white grapes like Malvasia and Trebbiano. The Super-Tuscans were also treated differently from Chianti, aged in small French barriques rather than in large Slovenian casks. Because they did not follow DOC regulations, the Super-Tuscans were entitled only to the lowest official designation of the time — vino da tavola. It wasn’t until 1994 that the government recognized the high quality of the Super-Tuscans and gave the wine its own category — IGT (Indicazione Geografica Tipica).
- Vineyards: Balifico (bawl-ee-FEE-co)
- Composition: 65% Sangiovese, 35% Cabernet Sauvignon
- Size: 5.02 hectares (12.4 total acres): Sangiovese: 3.1 hectares (7.66 acres); Cabernet Sauvignon: 1.92 hectares (4.74 acres)
- Vine Age: Average is 20-25 years old (ongoing planting since the 1980s)
- Soil: Sandstone
- Elevation: Sangiovese: 470 meters (1,542 feet); Cabernet Sauvignon: 450 meters (1,475 feet)
- Training: Sangiovese: Guyot; Cabernet Sauvignon: Cordon spur
The growing season began with mild and damp spring conditions from abundant rainfall that continued into early summer. Temperatures remained below normal during the month of June, resulting in late bud break and flowering of the vines. July and August saw warm temperatures which assisted in vine growth, grape veraison and ripening. Cooler temperatures prevailed in late summer delaying the harvest to the more traditional time of mid-September, similar to conditions 15 years ago. The vintage produced wines that are balance and elegant.
- Harvest Date(s): October 15, 2013
- Barrel Aging: 18 months in new French oak
- Varietal Composition: 65% Sangiovese, 35% Cabernet Sauvignon
- Production Case Pack: 6/750ml
- Alcohol: 14%
- TA: 5.5 g/L
- RS: 0.7 g/L
The Balifico is a vivid ruby color with a dark purple tinge. The nose is elegant, displaying aromas of blackberry and blueberry with hints of oak and cinnamon. This wine is smooth on the palate, with red fruit flavors, good structure and a long finish.