Balifico, Toscana IGT — 2019
The Balifico vineyard shares its name and location with a villa. The first Super-Tuscans were created in the 1970s by Chianti producers who rejected government mandates that determined which grapes were required to go into their wine, especially white grapes like Malvasia and Trebbiano. The Super-Tuscans were also treated differently from Chianti, aged in small French barriques rather than in large Slovenian casks. Because they did not follow DOC regulations, the Super-Tuscans were entitled only to the lowest official designation of the time — vino da tavola. It wasn’t until 1994 that the government recognized the high quality of the Super-Tuscans and gave the wine its own category — IGT (Indicazione Geografica Tipica).
- Vineyards: Balifico (bawl-ee-FEE-co)
- Size: 12.4 total (7.66 Sangiovese; 4.74 Cabernet Sauvignon)
- Vine Age: Average is 20-25 years old (ongoing planting since the 1980s)
- Soil: Sandstone
- Elevation: Sangiovese: 470 meters (1,542 feet); Cabernet Sauvignon: 450 meters (1,475 feet)
- Exposure: South-southwest (Sangiovese); Southwest (Cabernet Sauvignon)
- Density: Sangiovese: 5,435 vines/hectare (2,200 vines/acre); Cabernet Sauvignon: 5,698 vines/hectare (2,306 vines/acre)
- Training: Sangiovese: Guyot; Cabernet Sauvignon: Cordon spur
March was hot, while April and May were very cold and wet. Good weather arrived on June 10 and lasted through the end of the month. Early July was very hot and dry. From mid-July to the end of August, the heat was intense at times, but occasional rain kept the soil suitably wet. The weather was mostly beautiful from September through the first half of October, with some rainfalls.
- Harvest Date(s): Sangiovese: October 4th; Cabernet Sauvignon: October 17th
- Barrel Aging: 18 months in new French oak
- Varietal Composition: 65% Sangiovese, 35% Cabernet Sauvignon
- Production Case Pack: 6/750ml
- Alcohol: 14%
- TA: 5.2 g/L
The Balifico has a vivid ruby color with a dark purple tinge. The nose is elegant, displaying aromas of blackberry and blueberry with hints of oak and cinnamon. This is a smooth wine with good structure and a long finish tasting of red fruit.